is it possible to filter additional sites?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jglanfield

is it possible to filter additional sites?

Post by jglanfield »

We have members accessing NetFlix (not that we didn't see this coming) and have been told it's not possible to block it. Are there any workarounds that would make this possible?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: is it possible to filter additional sites?

Post by russellhltn »

"accessing NetFlix" how? From thier home, next door? During church meetings?

I'm not sure what is available, but my first thought is to disable the network when it's not needed for chuch use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might also talk to GSD and see if they can add NetFlix to the built-in filter. I'm not seeing a good chuch use for that site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

russellhltn wrote:"accessing NetFlix" how? From thier home, next door? During church meetings?

I'm not sure what is available, but my first thought is to disable the network when it's not needed for chuch use.
I did post this in the meetinghouse internet forum, I think? Not sure why I'd be concerned with someone accessing NetFlix from home ;)
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

russellhltn wrote:You might also talk to GSD and see if they can add NetFlix to the built-in filter. I'm not seeing a good chuch use for that site.
We've called them. Will call back and see how they respond to the request to add it. We only asked them if it were possible for us to block it locally.
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

jglanfield wrote:
russellhltn wrote:"accessing NetFlix" how? From thier home, next door? During church meetings?

I did post this in the meetinghouse internet forum, I think? Not sure why I'd be concerned with someone accessing NetFlix from home ;)
Maybe I misunderstood your question... ahem.

Yes, during church meetings.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

It's been a few months, but I'm going to chime in here. Someone suggested above "I'm not seeing a good church use for that site." Our Venture Crew President just asked if he could show an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation for an upcoming meeting. He wants to watch the episode, which consists of some ethical issues, and then discuss it as part of their ethical controversy forum. NetFlix has it available instantly, which will be easier than trying to find it on DVD. I do agree that great care needs to be exercised over the general use of NetFlix in the building, though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mcallaghan wrote:Our Venture Crew President just asked if he could show an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation for an upcoming meeting. He wants to watch the episode,
That can have issues with Copyright restrictions.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”