Access Points, Access Point Security

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Access Points, Access Point Security

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:They told me they occasionally push configuration updates out to the 881W's and sometimes the cleanup script they use fails to end gracefully, leaving the 881W in a state where the WiFi is left disabled.
So that's what happens! Yes, like others I've seen cases where the 881W fails to offer WiFi.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:They told me they occasionally push configuration updates out to the 881W's and sometimes the cleanup script they use fails to end gracefully, leaving the 881W in a state where the WiFi is left disabled.
The GSC has always been gracious to push an update to our 881Ws when WiFi fails.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

MattChan wrote:1. Lack of WiFI coverage in all areas of the chapel.
I have found in one chapel that even though the 881W in the clerk's office covers the main chapel area, it uses channel 1, which is also used by several nearby neighbors. This causes my laptop to drop the connection to the 881W due to all the noise on channel 1. I asked the GSC to change it to use a different channel, but they said they had no control over which channel is chosen.

By the way, I attended a branch conference yesterday, and noticed that the brand-spanking-new firewall doesn't have any antennae. It provides a wireless signal, but with no external antennae.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I attended a branch conference yesterday, and noticed that the brand-spanking-new firewall doesn't have any antennae. It provides a wireless signal, but with no external antennae.
Some newer models of the 881W have internal antennae. Which makes is very problematic to run a broadcast out of or into those particular buildings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I have found in one chapel that even though the 881W in the clerk's office covers the main chapel area, it uses channel 1, which is also used by several nearby neighbors. This causes my laptop to drop the connection to the 881W due to all the noise on channel 1.
I haven't monitored the 881W, but I have noticed the APs do change channels from time to time. Rather then look at broadcast strength (like apps like WiFi analyzer does), I believe it looks for actual channel congestion. Signal strength is a good indicator of potential conflict, but congestion is the real issue. The problem may be the neighbor's signals may not be very strong at the 881W's location and/or the 881W's signal is weak by the time to gets to the chapel. Since you're experiencing problems, you might look into having a AP added for better coverage of the chapel.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:The problem may be the neighbor's signals may not be very strong at the 881W's location and/or the 881W's signal is weak by the time to gets to the chapel. Since you're experiencing problems, you might look into having a AP added for better coverage of the chapel.
Exactly true in this case. The 881W is in the clerk's office, which has the bishop's office between it and the main chapel area, so the signal from the 881W is weakest on the far side of the chapel, where the neighbor's signal is the strongest. I have asked the FM twice to install another 1041n in the main chapel area. I understand it is a low priority work order, and budget is a concern, so I don't worry about it too much.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
tannkar

Post by tannkar »

Dana- You may want to request if they can move the 881W to a different location that may provide better coverage for the chapel. The recommended practice is to locate the firewall in a secure area with limited access to avoid by-passing the firewall: https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... n?lang=eng

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”