Monitor wireless connectivity

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mbgriffi

Monitor wireless connectivity

Post by mbgriffi »

Are their tools or has anyone found a solution to monitor wifi connectivity issues and provide proactive notification when there are problems?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Monitor wireless connectivity

Post by russellhltn »

What kind of problem? tm.Lds.org can tell you if you're running out of IPs
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mbgriffi

Post by mbgriffi »

TM is from the perspective of the firewall.

I want to know if the external link is down, and when it goes down be notified via a "page".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

No tools that I know of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lryangray

Post by lryangray »

I've been pondering the same thing. I hate getting calls on Sundays when there's an issue with the network and people are having problems. Many times it's been a while before someone thinks to notify me. I'd rather be able to proactively fix issues. I haven't spent a ton of time on this yet but my top of mind idea is to use some kind of cheap device like a Raspberry Pi at the buildings and have it connect regularly to a central location, such as the cloud. If I don't get a check-in for a certain amount of time set the cloud service/VM to send me a text.

I'd be interested in hearing other ideas people may have, like I said I haven't thought all that much about it; I'm sure there are tons of ways to skin this cat.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was visiting an outlying branch on Sunday. While there, I signed in to TM, and saw that a firewall in another unit had been off the air for three days. I sent a text to the bishop of that unit, and he confirmed their internet was down (again). He also sent a message to the FM, who had supposedly fixed that DSL line a couple weeks ago.
You are right. It would be cool to get a message when a firewall fails to check in.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
silus99

Post by silus99 »

This is a total work around, but you may consider hooking up a Dropcam in the building. It will notify you when there is an issue with the wifi or internet via email/text as their server checks for connection to the internet frequently (every 15 minutes I think). I guess you could even point it somewhere useful like towards the router to see when people are fiddling with the equipment as it can text you when there is motion or sound.

Just a thought as that is when I can tell my home network is having trouble.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

There are all kinds of tools - including a plethora of freeware tools - that do nothing but sit around pinging servers all day. But SLC already has such a tool in place - the firewall information sheet knows when a device hasn't checked in recently, all they need to do is send an email/SMS to the STS to alert that there is an abnormal condition. This feature could be added with just a few lines of script and if they decided that they wanted to add the function they could easily have tested and deployed by the end of the year.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”