Getting DSL on church paid phone lines?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

moroni7 wrote:I will try calling again and hope I get someone else who may have another alternative.
Calling again sounds like a good idea. Many reps don't know what options are available. I had to call Qwest three or four times before I could get dialtoneless DSL.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

moroni7 wrote:Well, I was told by the local AT&T rep that the only way I could get a seperate bill is to order a new phone line that would not be part of the group that is paid for by the church and then add dsl to that.
That does not sound like "dry loop DSL." AT&T is calling their residential dry-loop DSL service "DSL Direct." Perhaps if you call the AT&T rep back and ask for the business equivalent of DSL Direct, they will figure out what you are really asking for. AT&T does offer it, the rep you are speaking with just may not know that AT&T offers it.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Also have you contacted xilec at http://www.xilecbroadband.com/ to see if they can help?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

tsheffield wrote:Also have you contacted xilec at http://www.xilecbroadband.com/ to see if they can help?
I can second this. They were a big help in getting our broadband service arranged and their fees are paid by the service provider.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I use AT&T DSL at home. One of the terms of service was that I had to keep an underlying AT&T voice line active to keep the DSL service.

Just today, I received a notice of a change of terms where, if I drop the voice line, AT&T will still provide the DSL line (without voice and at the current DSL rate, no less).

I imagine, from a marketing and income perspective, they would rather be able to bill for both the voice and DSL service. But I think they may be seeing the reality that some customers, in fact, only want DSL, and they will cater to that market.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Well, all of you should count yourselves lucky. Here in Georiga AT&T will give you dry loop but you pay more for it than having a phone line included. Xilec has been a big help in getting things started but also unfortunately in Georgia AT&T is insisting on a business rate. That means we will be paying $92 per line per month. I can't see how all of you are getting residential rates from AT&T? I wish we could but Xilec confirmed for us that somehow in Georgia things are screwy with AT&T.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russp wrote:That means we will be paying $92 per line per month. I can't see how all of you are getting residential rates from AT&T?

In my case, I was talking about my own home DSL line.

Our stake will not pay $92 per month for a DSL line to a building. In fact, we are not paying anything per month right now. The closest we are coming to spending actual money is considering if we will pay $45 for one particular building which, so far, is considered to be too much.

So we are not paying anything.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I'm curious what part of Georgia you are in. BellSouth was recently bought out by Southwestern Bell (SBC), ... er ... AT&T so there may still be some things in transition. When I went to att.com and used an Atlanta ZIP code (30301) to set my location, I got this information for residential DSL Direct, and this information on Business DSL Direct. Unfortunately the Business DSL Direct page did not include any rate information. Curiously, all of this is still coming from a BellSouth Internet domain.

Sometimes knowing the right lingo your DSL provider is using can help them get you talking about the same service/product. Since AT&T in Georgia lists their cheapest Business DSL offering at under $50.00 per month, it seems unreasonable for them to expect $92.00 a month when their own web page leads one to believe it would be at least the same rate, not more expensive.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

jbh001 wrote:I'm curious what part of Georgia you are in. BellSouth was recently bought out by Southwestern Bell (SBC), ... er ... AT&T so there may still be some things in transition. When I went to att.com and used an Atlanta ZIP code (30301) to set my location, I got this information for residential DSL Direct, and this information on Business DSL Direct. Unfortunately the Business DSL Direct page did not include any rate information. Curiously, all of this is still coming from a BellSouth Internet domain.

Sometimes knowing the right lingo your DSL provider is using can help them get you talking about the same service/product. Since AT&T in Georgia lists their cheapest Business DSL offering at under $50.00 per month, it seems unreasonable for them to expect $92.00 a month when their own web page leads one to believe it would be at least the same rate, not more expensive.
Atlanta metro area. My information is most definitely correct. It's about $89 for 1.5 Mbps with I'm sure additional nonsense fees on top of that. Speakeasy offers it for $55 but only can cover one of the buildings. I'm looking at cable now as AT&T is just unreasonable.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”