Church internet connectivity woes (possible 881w issue)

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church internet connectivity woes (possible 881w issue)

Post by russellhltn »

ldsrussp wrote:Yeah, I've been told that too about the 1041's but they DON"T sense each other and avoid conflicts, at least not in our buildings.
I believe they do. Because mine seem to change channels periodically. But they don't use the same criteria that we'd use. I suspect they change channels based not on hearing another AP, but based on channel congestion. If you think about it, it makes sense because for the AP to scan for open channels, it would have to "abandon" the channel it's supposed to be on. Adding a second receiver just to scan is expensive, but monitoring current channel congestion is just software (and free).

So far I've not seen a definitive answer if having two APs with the same SSID on the same channel is really a problem (assuming properly written drivers) other than channel congestion raising the noise floor. It would be interesting to track complaints by brand of device. Apple seems to have a history of problems with its TCP/IP stack not playing well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”