Wireless dropping/reconnecting

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ldsrussp

Re: Wireless dropping/reconnecting

Post by ldsrussp »

Might be. Seems the ipads have the worst time of it. Might need to see if there is some app out there that would help debug the issue.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Latest I've heard from Salt Lake is that this problem is becoming more widespread and they gave me an open ticket on it. I'm starting to suspect the firewall more than just the 1041s (3rd 881 firewall we've had at this building) as the members are reporting to me that they also are losing wired access too. I'm thinking about requesting a new firewall from FM group as it appears to have power issues (guessing). Today it dumped off the entire FH class in the middle and no-one could reconnect. Very aggravating. If I had a UPS I could try that to try and smooth things out just in case but knowing the low quality of Cisco's current products I suspect it's a cheap power supply in the firewall to blame.
loompeter

Post by loompeter »

Over the past couple of years, I had been using an old laptop (pentium III on Windows XP) which doesn't have built-in wireless networking, so I had to use a Belkin Wireless G external USB adaptor. When I had first used this setup, it was very disappointing as it didn't work very well with the Church wireless internet.

Connection kept dropping out very frequently (every few minutes to every few seconds) and when I tried to re-connect, it was slow and at times it would fail altogether. Back then I thought it was my system (and still did until I had read the comments in this Forum).

Thank you all for sharing your experience.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

Turns out the APs are NOT to blame. They actually work great when I took out the firewall. Church did send a new firewall but so far tech support is unable to get the web interface on it to come up. Might have to get YET another new one (even though this one is brand new). Hence I guess one answer to getting good internet access is to remove the firewall. :( Ug for sure but at least the bishopbrics are happy now. :)

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”