Windows updates on Ward computers

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Before we remove or tamper with those settings, I would like to get the OK from CHQ. There might be issues they are working on that we don't know about. (This is where some 2-way communication would be VERY helpful, hint hint.)
I think the issue is they didn't want to have the machines download some unknown future "fix" that prevented MLS from working. Individually it wouldn't be to bad, but if it were to happen all across the world ..... I think that's just standard Enterprise IT. We don't get it until they check it out. The problem is, we're not getting any word that it's ok to do any updates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eyoungberg-p40

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:I should have paid closer attention to this. GX270s do not have Desktop 5.5 installed.

eyoungberg, your inputs are appreciated but because your computers do not have Desktop 5.5 installed you definitely will not have the same issues as those of us with other Dell models.

OK. BTW - the OptiPlex 740 installed in one of the newer wards here a couple of years ago also probably doesn't have it, as we used the same process as with the GX270's to prep for the Internet connection, and it too does NOT have the issues reported here.

I'll go away now ...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eyoungberg wrote:I'll go away now ...
Don't think your contribution wasn't useful. At least you've given us evidence that Desktop 5.5 isn't the same as Windows with the local unit security added.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eyoungberg wrote:Reference, please?

Eric
March 2005 Policy and Guidelines, page 3, supplemented by help desk instructions. We are not allowed to use remote access without someone at the computer being accessed to turn it on and to shut it down again after the remote access.

Page 2. Units using a FHC computer for MLS must use a hard drive that can be removed when MLS is not in use so that the drive does not sit on the network.

The Risk Management office at CHQ has asked that computers be turned off when the building is not occupied to avoid the risk of fire.

To name a few.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eyoungberg wrote:OK. BTW - the OptiPlex 740 installed in one of the newer wards here a couple of years ago also probably doesn't have it, as we used the same process as with the GX270's to prep for the Internet connection, and it too does NOT have the issues reported here.

I'll go away now ...
Sorry eyoungberg. I did not want to imply your input it was not useful. I just wanted to clarify that we were talking apples and oranges with regards to system configurations.

Continue to provide input. We just need to make sure we are looking at the same sheet of music - so to speak.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The Risk Management office at CHQ has asked that computers be turned off when the building is not occupied to avoid the risk of fire.
I believe that was in a old copy of the guidelines for computers, but they've since been superseded.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I believe that was in a old copy of the guidelines for computers, but they've since been superseded.
I don't know if it was there or not, but I learned about it from an 11 September 2004 phone call to CHQ.

Again, though, these are my guidelines from my stake president, not necessarily yours.
eyoungberg-p40

security stuff

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

Thanks for the response!
lajackson wrote:March 2005 Policy and Guidelines, page 3, supplemented by help desk instructions. We are not allowed to use remote access without someone at the computer being accessed to turn it on and to shut it down again after the remote access.

I have the guidelines in front of me. (http://www.lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/S ... 5B2%5D.pdf) The Remote-Access Software instruction refers specifically to PC Anywhere, and if stake leaders want to continue to use it that they have to purchase it, and to be carefult to not compromise security (which is addressed on page 2).

Nothing is said about someone having to be there for security reaons. Did that part come fom your supplemental help desk instructions?
lajackson wrote: The Risk Management office at CHQ has asked that computers be turned off when the building is not occupied to avoid the risk of fire.

Is this written down in other guidelines somewhere?

The security issues are directly addressed on page 2 under Security. They seem pretty straightforward. I definitely don't want to read anymore into it than what they have there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eyoungberg wrote:I have the guidelines in front of me. (http://www.lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/S ... 5B2%5D.pdf) The Remote-Access Software instruction refers specifically to PC Anywhere, and if stake leaders want to continue to use it that they have to purchase it, and to be carefult to not compromise security (which is addressed on page 2).

Nothing is said about someone having to be there for security reaons. Did that part come fom your supplemental help desk instructions?
First, notice that it specifically says for "diagnostic purposes". I interpret that to mean that it's for someone like the STS to troubleshoot computer problems.

Second, I'm not sure about PC Anywhere's capability, but can you set it up so that you can remotely connect without opening a port in the church's firewall? Because it's my understanding that you're not likely to get that open port, so to use the broadband connection, you'll have to have someone in front of the machine connect to you.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eyoungberg wrote:Nothing is said about someone having to be there for security reaons. Did that part come fom your supplemental help desk instructions?

Is this written down in other guidelines somewhere?
Of course not. If it were written down, we wouldn't be having this discussion. [grin]

We no longer use PCAnywhere. When we did, we were on dialup, and someone at the receiving end had to set the modem to answer the phone. CHQ was always very antsy when we did this and insisted that it immediately be reset to not answer the phone after our work was done. Our stake president concurred.

The turning off of computers when not in the building is from the September 2004 phone call. I realize that was a long time ago. Subsequent discussions with the help desk also suggested that this be done.

And at many times of the year, it is not wise to leave the computers on because the power is not reliable.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”