Windows updates on Ward computers

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, I can tell you a fresh Desktop 5.5 image is locked down and doesn't want to do any updates. And the problem is deeper then going into Control Panel and turning it on.

I haven't tried loading the security package on top of a Generic windows install to see if it's any different.

eyoungberg, did you download and install "Local Unit Security Software" from mls.lds.org?

The Adaware free version is for "Personal home use only". It's not free to non-profits. And since the free version lacks real-time protection, I don't bother with it. I do use Spybot (which does come loaded on Desktop 5.5) as well as SpywareBlaster which is free for home/church use. Both provide protection "as it happens".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eyoungberg wrote:Windows Defender ... stays resident on the workstation and is configured to update itself and scan during a planned, weekly overnight maintence process.
The instructions I have do not allow leaving the administrative computers on unattended, and the handbook I have does not allow overnight camping at the meetinghouse. [grin]

Perhaps you are speaking of Family History Center computers?
eyoungberg-p40

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:"did you download and install "Local Unit Security Software" from mls.lds.org?".

Yes. No problems at all on 10 workstations.

Eric
eyoungberg-p40

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

lajackson wrote:The instructions I have do not allow leaving the administrative computers on unattended

Reference, please?

Eric
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eyoungberg wrote:... [A]ll of this smacks of spyware that is looking to protect itself, but is having a problem because it can't call home through the CHQ firewall. If the system is as "hosed:" as it sounds, I would be prepared to do a complete reinstall of the image - Windows, MLS, etc.

Also, if this is a Dell Dimension OptiPlex GX270, you may very well have a known hardware problem.
Definitely not a spyware problem. This is the same for all four computers in the building. I have run Spybot and SpywareBlaster with a clean result. All the computers are Optiplex GX250s with Desktop 5.5.

Another issue I encountered was the inability to complete Windows Update following the install of SP3. After undoing all the lockdowns done by Desktop 5.5 to disable Windows Update I can get SP3 to download and install. It is the followon updates that need to be done that fail. The downloads are successful, but every single install fails.
RussellHltn wrote:Well, I can tell you a fresh Desktop 5.5 image is locked down and doesn't want to do any updates. And the problem is deeper then going into Control Panel and turning it on.
There are three steps I had to take to enable Windows Update functionality.

[Sorry to edit this JD, but since all clerks have admin access, I don't think it's wise to explain how to defeat the policy measures CHQ has put in place with Desktop 5.5.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:eyoungberg, did you download and install "Local Unit Security Software" from mls.lds.org?
eyoungberg wrote:Yes. No problems at all on 10 workstations.
Then I presume those 10 workstations are not configured with Desktop 5.5. If so, that would explain why you do not have the same issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eyoungberg wrote: Also, if this is a Dell Dimension OptiPlex GX270, you may very well have a known hardware problem.
I should have paid closer attention to this. GX270s do not have Desktop 5.5 installed.

eyoungberg, your inputs are appreciated but because your computers do not have Desktop 5.5 installed you definitely will not have the same issues as those of us with other Dell models.
JD Lessley
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Then I presume those 10 workstations are not configured with Desktop 5.5. If so, that would explain why you do not have the same issues.
That's also the first solid evidence that Windows + Local Security is quite a bit different then Desktop 5.5.

jdlessley wrote:Another issue I encountered was the inability to complete Windows Update following the install of SP3. After undoing all the lockdowns done by Desktop 5.5 to disable Windows Update I can get SP3 to download and install. It is the followon updates that need to be done that fail. The downloads are successful, but every single install fails.
Sounds like something else has been disabled. Something you might try is going to the update site, getting the details on each update and downloading the program and then running the EXE directly. Either it may run or at least give you some more information as to why it failed.

At work I had a problem where the permissions in some parts of the registry got messed up so I couldn't install some specific updates even though I was local admin.

I should also note that the Dell model doesn't have anything to do with Desktop or no Desktop. I originally received Dell GX270. Ran with that for awhile then I got a set of CDs and instructions "Use the enclosed desktop imaging kit to update the Local Unit Computer Desktop software on all administrative computers in your stake or district."

The new machines I've been getting are Optiplex 740, and I've been loading the Desktop on them using an external CD drive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:Definitely not a spyware problem. This is the same for all four computers in the building. I have run Spybot and SpywareBlaster with a clean result. All the computers are Optiplex GX250s with Desktop 5.5.

Another issue I encountered was the inability to complete Windows Update following the install of SP3. After undoing all the lockdowns done by Desktop 5.5 to disable Windows Update I can get SP3 to download and install. It is the followon updates that need to be done that fail. The downloads are successful, but every single install fails.
As I said earlier, I'm not convinced it's spyware either. I still haven't found any links yet supporting my claim, however. I think I remember getting that information bar only because some of security setting or policy.

As for the updates downloading but none installing, I have seen this before on non-Church computers, and it seemed to be right after install of SP3. I mean, you guys could be right and it's a security setting done by the Desktop 5.5 image. But I've had Windows Update behave like that before just because it got out of wack. Here is a solution from my blog to try before you chalk it up to a Church-set security settings:

http://murrayon.net/2008/08/microsoftwi ... n-all.html
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mkmurray wrote:I mean, you guys could be right and it's a security setting done by the Desktop 5.5 image.
Seeing exactly which policies are set, I'm certain it's a function of Desktop 5.5. This is not a random thing. Every admin PC in our stake is set the same way.
mkmurray wrote:But I've had Windows Update behave like that before just because it got out of wack. Here is a solution from my blog to try before you chalk it up to a Church-set security settings:

http://murrayon.net/2008/08/microsoftwi ... n-all.html

I've seen this exact problem many times. It happens frequently with XP when doing a "repair" install from the original CD. The solution you provide is for that problem, but it wont do anything for the Desktop 5.5 policy settings.

Before we remove or tamper with those settings, I would like to get the OK from CHQ. There might be issues they are working on that we don't know about. (This is where some 2-way communication would be VERY helpful, hint hint.)

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”