New TM feature

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: New TM feature

Post by johnshaw »

Unfortunately, this likely means that the firewall will be completely bypassed for webcasts ---Unless SLC grants us the ability to easily disable when needed, or they staff GSC on Sunday's when we do the webcasts with some of the daytime-week-day crew.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

Can we also get a feature for email notification when a router/broadband link goes down?? Pretty please? :)
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

sammythesm wrote:Can we also get a feature for email notification when a router/broadband link goes down?? Pretty please? :)
I second that request.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I would also like to see when a router goes down and what the reason is. I still have 3 or 4 routers in my stake that don't stay up. I am planning at some point to put UPS in there, but I don't think it is a power issue. I still believe that there is a bug that is being hit and no one has found it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

One issue is that you may receive several hundred messages on a bad day. A method is needed to just give you a summary message. The other issue is that a device that is "down" can't generate messages, and a device that has lost its network connection can't send messages. So this would have to be a server-side function that looks for heartbeat signals from every router known to exist.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

drepouille, I can respect that and if it is down, then ok. However, the routers in my stake have been rebooting on their own and every time they do, they have come back up fine. However, I have been working with the global service desk to determine why my routers seem to be rebooting every 3 or 4 days.

My argument is that these are CISCO routers from an company that prides itself on making the "best" routers in the world. That is why the service providers like AT&T, Verizon, Century Link and others are using them. They have been proven to be ROCK SOLID devices and they just don't reboot in the middle of the day. There are only three reason, in my book, that a CISCO router would reboot on their own. (1) because there is a hardware failure, (2) there is a power issue and (3) because there is a bug that is been hit and when it hits the routers says reboot. Something is going on because these routers should be up for weeks.

I am a network engineer by trade. I work at a VERY LARGE federal agency and we are a CISCO shop. I can look at routers in this company and they have been up for weeks and probably months without ever being rebooted.

So there is a way we should be able to see why these devices are rebooting. Is this a problem that isn't being seen or just something we are suppose to live with. I for one can't live with it because I had a router reboot on my twice during stake conference in June. This is unacceptable especially when from my understanding the brethren in Salt Lake are encourage and recommend us to do webcasting. I know in my stake that after the first broadcast, our attendance increased by 30%.

To me these routers need to be rock solid and should be. But I also want to know why they KEEP rebooting at times when there should be no one in the building using the system.

I currently had one router in my stake that has been up for 5 hours so it rebooted at about 9 a.m. this morning. The FHC wasn't even open at that time. So why did it reboot?

I will get off my soap box now.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:The other issue is that a device that is "down" can't generate messages, and a device that has lost its network connection can't send messages. So this would have to be a server-side function that looks for heartbeat signals from every router known to exist.
They do. All of the 881W firewalls phone home every 10 minutes and provides usage and other stats to a CHQ server.

OK, It's not exactly an email notification, but if you look closely at the TM usage graph for a particular firewall, it will show 2 months worth of history. In the DHCP availability plot (solid teal), you can easily spot periods where the plot falls to zero. These are times when CHQ could not obtain information, which is usually caused by either the router or Internet connection being down. Unfortunately, this will not show random reboots like some are experiencing, but the "Uptime" stat should.
usage-1.JPG
usage-1.JPG (46.57 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
BTW, another trick I learned is if you drag your mouse over a section of the plot, it will zoom in on that section. You are then presented with a "Reset zoom" button to go back to the full 60 day view. Nifty!
usage-2.JPG
usage-2.JPG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:There are only three reason, in my book, that a CISCO router would reboot on their own.
I'll add two more: The physical environment is too hostile (probably too hot), or someone is trying to hack the unit.

But I agree there is a problem. Since you're not getting anywhere with GSD, can you get the unit swapped out?

Another question: is your modem just a modem or is it a router/modem? If the latter, can you get it swapped out for a modem only? Having a second router in the system may create problems. The Cisco might be sensing something wrong and rebooting to try and solve it. (Maybe not a bug so much as it's unhappy with it's network environment.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Russell, I could try another router/modem, but one of the ones that is giving me the problem is from Verizon FIOS and I have it connected directly to the ONT, which means that the Internet IP address is on the Cisco router itself.

We can try better air flow and go from there, but it would be good to know if these devices are over heating. The problem is that I'm not getting any good feedback on why they are rebooting and what I can do to solve it.

It is frustrating, because I don't know what is the problem and causing the reboots.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:Russell, I could try another router/modem, but
Sorry, I meant asking for a replacement 881W.

harddrive wrote:one of the ones that is giving me the problem is from Verizon FIOS and I have it connected directly to the ONT, which means that the Internet IP address is on the Cisco router itself.
OK, that's good.

harddrive wrote:We can try better air flow and go from there, but it would be good to know if these devices are over heating. The problem is that I'm not getting any good feedback on why they are rebooting and what I can do to solve it.
The only thing I can suggest is calling support during normal UT business hours and see if someone can dig into the logs. The help that's available in the evenings or weekends may not be able to do that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”