New TM feature

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

Re: New TM feature

Post by drepouille »

I had fun watching the firewall traffic during stake conference. The firewall at the stake center usually peaks at about 65 connections, then returns to a low of 10 for the night. During the Saturday adult session, it peaked at 102, and during the Sunday session, it peaked at 157.

Another meetinghouse (which we share with another stake) usually peaks at 57 on Sundays, but today only hit 32, because only 1 out of 3 wards were meeting there.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
oscarschultz

Re: New TM feature -Speedtest

Post by oscarschultz »

Just an interesting item to be aware of when using the speedtest option in the firewall web interface.
The speedtest function in the web interface measures the speed of the network at which the browser is located, not where the firewall is located.
To gather accurate speedtest information I had to be in the building to run the speedtest option. Using the speedtest option remotely returns a mis-leading result.

If people are complaining about bandwidth, to get an accurate measure you have to be in the building. Something to remember before complaining to the service provider about poor service is to gather accurate bandwidth numbers.
The buildings in my Stake have service @ 1.2 down/0.7 up Mbps, compared to the service in many members homes of 21 down/6.0 up Mbps.

Most members are unaware of the available bandwidth within the buildings and simply plan that the networks will not be available when they really need them. Most download the videos as part of their preparation to avoid bandwidth problems.
The bandwidth is good enough for many uses. I expect the available bandwidth will increase as members use more content from the internet.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

oscarschultz wrote:...to get an accurate measure you have to be in the building.
Good point. It also helps to be on a wired connection with not much else going on in the building.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

oscarschultz wrote:To gather accurate speedtest information I had to be in the building to run the speedtest option.
When you hover your mouse over the "Execute Speed Test" button in TM, the following message pops up:
This will test bandwidth between your computer and the Church’s datacenter. To test the bandwidth of a particular building, make sure you are connected to the Internet service in that building.
But if you move your mouse quickly onto the button and click it, it's certainly possible to miss that popup.
bishopham

Post by bishopham »

I visit the TM website a few times a week to check on the buildings and make sure sure everything seems to be ok. A few weeks ago, I saw that there was a lot of activity at a building at an odd hour so I went to investigate. One of the wards was having an activity so that explained the large number of users but not the high bandwidth usage...they were not showing / streaming videos, etc. I went to check the room where the internet equipment was and found a member downloading something onto a laptop using a cat 5 connection...he had disconnected a wireless access point and plugged in.

Since that time, I am watching the building activity much closer (and matching internet activity with ward calendar events). I have found an interesting tool...after getting the usage statistics for a firewall, there is a button in the lower right area of the page that says "View Detailed Logging" . It shows activity in 10 minute intervals for what looks like the last 2 days.. I have found a building that we share with another stake (there is a Regional Family History Center that I have responsibility for) that has bandwidth usage going off the chart at funny hours...The other stake (Spanish speaking) will not give me an access key or a key to the technology closet so I feel a bit helpless to do anything...suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bishopham wrote:It shows activity in 10 minute intervals for what looks like the last 2 days.
Oh, I was going to ask you how you saw things as "odd hours". I don't think I can see things well enough in the default graph to do much more then compare days. This may also answer a another question that has come up - bandwidth measured. I suspect it's total bytes downloaded in a 10 minute period divided by 10 minutes.

bishopham wrote:I went to check the room where the internet equipment was and found a member downloading something onto a laptop using a cat 5 connection...he had disconnected a wireless access point and plugged in.
Sounds like the equipment wasn't properly secured.

bishopham wrote:The other stake (Spanish speaking) will not give me an access key or a key to the technology closet so I feel a bit helpless to do anything...suggestions?
Talk to whoever put in you charge and explain the problem and why you need a key. The only other alternative I can think of is to use your power in TM to continuously reboot the firewall during these "odd hours". <evil grin> That may trigger a phone call. But I'd say the recommended way is to work though those who say you have authority over the FHC.

What do you mean by "odd hours"? It's not usual for wards to have their own nights in the FHC that is not generally published. It's also possible that the missionaries have access for some things they do. But if we're talking between 10 PM and 6 AM, something odd is going on and should be reported.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Is BANDWIDTH IN/OUT in Kb or Mb under detailed logging?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Is BANDWIDTH IN/OUT in Kb or Mb under detailed logging?
It appears to be in Kbps.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:You could put everything though a switch and put it on a timer.
Really? Seems to me that would potentially create a lot more problems than it solved. There's no way to predict when the building might be occupied or a clerk come in after hours to do some work.
mfmohlma wrote:Not that there would be anything we could do about it if it was detected...
Sure there is. If you suspect neighbors are free-riding on the church's WiFi, contact CHQ. They have a LOT more statistics available than the tiny bit we see on TM regarding which devices were connected to your WiFi and when. I wouldn't doubt they can even pull up a particular device's browsing history. If there's an issue, I'm sure they can handle it.
I believe they would be able to ban a specific mac address of any device they deem to be abusing the network...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

emmett wrote:I believe they would be able to ban a specific mac address of any device they deem to be abusing the network...
You do realize that MAC addresses can be forged? Depending on who you're up against, it might not even slow them down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”