New TM feature

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New TM feature

Post by russellhltn »

spencerto wrote:As far as trying to prevent the "neighbors" from hi-jacking, I wouldn't suggest turning your firewall off at certain times. As we are monitoring your firewalls from HQ and may need to apply patches or updates to them (usually during off-peak times) it is helpful that they remain on and accessible.
Which is why I said "switch". It would be turning off connectivity to the firewall, not the firewall itself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
spencerto wrote:As far as trying to prevent the "neighbors" from hi-jacking, I wouldn't suggest turning your firewall off at certain times. As we are monitoring your firewalls from HQ and may need to apply patches or updates to them (usually during off-peak times) it is helpful that they remain on and accessible.
Which is why I said "switch". It would be turning off connectivity to the firewall, not the firewall itself.
I'm curious how you would achieve that, without disconnecting the firewall from the Internet?

Unless a feature is made available in TM, to do this remotely. Is this what you envisage?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Biggles wrote:I'm curious how you would achieve that, without disconnecting the firewall from the Internet?
I suspect he plans to cycle off the 16 (or 24) port network switch that's sitting on the LAN side, but not touch the WAN side of the firewall, or the firewall itself. This will allow CHQ to always see it as "up" and not panic that it keeps turning itself off. :)

If I might make a suggestion to Russell...
If you have 2 switches available, put all your AP's on one and wired connections on the other. That way you could cycle off the WiFi, but not disturb the admin PC's.

I mention this because during my tenure as a finance clerk, I sometimes came in at odd hours as it better fit my schedule and I could also work undisturbed while processing the more confidential stuff, like FO checks.
spencerto wrote:Glad to see people are enjoying some of the new features including the graph.
Great work Tony (and the rest of the team)!
spencerto wrote:One thing I noticed which we will be addressing in the next update is that the countdown timer for usage statistics is a little too strict. As soon as it hits the 10 minute mark it expects the new data to be available. We need to add a bit of "slush" in there before it checks again....like 30 seconds.
If it's possible, it sure would be nice to have a button to force another firewall-to-CHQ update without having to wait the required 10 minutes. (OK I admit, in this instant world of ours, I'm guilty of getting impatient sometimes. :rolleyes: )
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

You would still have to consider that the 881W is also a WAP. The only way that I'm aware of at the moment to limit the WiFi output of the 881W, is to remove the aerials.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Biggles wrote:You would still have to consider that the 881W is also a WAP. The only way that I'm aware of at the moment to limit the WiFi output of the 881W, is to remove the aerials.
Yes, you're right. I overlooked that part. OK, so it will reduce the WiFi signal, but not kill it completely.

(For the record, I'm more of a fan of addressing neighborhood issues, rather than avoiding them.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:You would still have to consider that the 881W is also a WAP. The only way that I'm aware of at the moment to limit the WiFi output of the 881W, is to remove the aerials.
Considering that our 881W as now twice turned off the WiFi on it's own, that may not be a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

BTW... As a note, the new 881W are NOT shipping with external antenna - I just received an RMA device and NO external Antenna... so there goes that nice feature... hopefully we'll have the app available to use to shut it off from tm.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:BTW... As a note, the new 881W are NOT shipping with external antenna - I just received an RMA device and NO external Antenna... so there goes that nice feature... hopefully we'll have the app available to use to shut it off from tm.
Does it have an internal antenna or no wireless at all?

Frankly, I'd rather not have the wireless in the unit. The best location for the firewall is seldom the best location for wireless.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It has the wireless integrated, just not the external antenna's..... I agree with you about the access points however. Every installation my FM group did with the firewall made the wireless coverage worse in the building... wait... check that 8 out of 9, the last one the coverage was the same (the building is very small).
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, there's always aluminum foil....

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”