TM Feature Request - option to setup IP reservations

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bradh

TM Feature Request - option to setup IP reservations

Post by bradh »

Will we ever have the option to setup IP reservations? I would like to set reservations for Clerk office computers and printers in our FHC.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Announcing a new Technology Manager Feature

Post by spencerto »

Are you out of static addresses?
bradh

Re: Announcing a new Technology Manager Feature

Post by bradh »

No, just wanted to manage static ip's with reservations.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: TM Feature Request - option to setup IP reservations

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the "Announcing a new Technology Manager Feature" thread because it discusses a different topic.

Please follow the Code of Conduct which states: "Stay on topic; keep the content of the site clear and concise" and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread".]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

In my own thinking, there is already a static range assigned to each meetinghouse, typically enough to cover 4 clerk computers and 2 printers (stake office and Materials Center). 6 should cover most basic needs.

DHCP is nice to have on the computers, but you still must manage a reservation by MAC

So identify the MAC, do the reservation in the Cisco Firewall (which seems an unlikely permission to receive). Or set the IP, SM, DG, and DNS manually on the server. I'm on the side of the manual static address because it may be a couple more entries to add, but it leaves the DHCP ranges alone. Printer and computer swaps are a bit easier with manual entries... IMHO.

Just me...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Personally I like doing static in the DHCP. Mostly because it gives me an authoritative, central place to look to see what is and is not in use. Ping is not reliable as an assigned device might not be powered up when you test - assuming said device even responds to ping.

It also works well if the SP wants to have a static address reserved for him when he goes to various buildings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”