Members printing to Library Xerox copy machine

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
michaelfish

Members printing to Library Xerox copy machine

Post by michaelfish »

Since our Xerox library copiers have network printing capabilities, I connected it to them to the church network and set up the printers on a few member's laptops. Now, if someone wants to print an Internet talk or lesson material from their laptop, they don't have to bother the clerks but can print from their device (wireless) to the library's copy machine.

Since I didn't want network cables going across the floor, I used an inexpensive PowerLine adapter system for network connectivity. I plugged one unit into the electrical receptacle under the copier and connected the network cable to the copier. Then I plugged the second PowerLine adapter into an electric receptacle next to the firewall and connected the network cable to the switch. Finally I gave the copy machine a static IP address (as do all the clerks' PCs) and installed the network printer and drivers on the member's laptops.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Members printing to Library Xerox copy machine

Post by jdlessley »

michaelfish wrote:Since our Xerox library copiers have network printing capabilities, I connected it to them to the church network and set up the printers on a few member's laptops. Now, if someone wants to print an Internet talk or lesson material from their laptop, they don't have to bother the clerks but can print from their device (wireless) to the library's copy machine.
This is a good idea. As you describe this setup it must be for a single unit meetinghouse. For multiple unit meetinghouses such as ours, we are using the XSA (Xerox Standard Accounting) feature for building shared materials center expenses. The only added step in printing is the inclusion of the ward account number.
michaelfish wrote:Since I didn't want network cables going across the floor, I used an inexpensive PowerLine adapter system for network connectivity.
Does the meetinghouse not have wireless? Or do you have multiple subnets to accommodate a larger IP address pool? Having multiple subnets does make it difficult to use the wireless in accessing the networked materials center copier.

When I set up our clerk computer to print from the materials center copier all I had to do was install the driver (provided on CD with the copier) and include the copier's fixed IP address during the setup.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I find out needs are for ipad printing these days... Solution for this?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

JohnShaw wrote:I find out needs are for ipad printing these days... Solution for this?
The solution that I have seen advertised is the xPrintServer

do check the compatibility list to make sure your specific model is supported
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

jdlessley wrote:we are using the XSA (Xerox Standard Accounting) feature for building shared materials center expenses. The only added step in printing is the inclusion of the ward account number.
Do you have documentation for this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It comes with the copier and is also available for download from the Xerox website. It is found in the System Administrator Guide.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

You might check out the Xerox Mobile Express Driver. Once you install it on your computer, you can easily see and print to any Postscript printer on your local network. The user interface could be simpler, but it eliminates the need to install new printers.

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/mo ... em=win7x64
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ulupoi wrote:You might check out the Xerox Mobile Express Driver. Once you install it on your computer, you can easily see and print to any Postscript printer on your local network.
The copier still needs to be configured for network printing. Any attempts to access the copier from the WAN side of the firewall will fail because the firewall has not been configured to permit remote access except through VPN from church headquarters.
JD Lessley
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

"...on your local network."
The way it works is you go to a building, connect to LDSAccess, open a document to print, select Mobile Express Driver as your printer, and you will then see a menu with all Postscript printers connected to your local network. Choose the printer you want and print. You don't have to do a separate installation for each printer in each new location. It's handy.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”