Sugardoodle blocked?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Sugardoodle blocked?

Post by craiggsmith »

Someone in my ward wanted to show something in Primary from Sugardoodle. We are getting a page that says Session Timeout but the URL has "blockpage.cgi" in it. It's accessible via my cell network, so I assume this is a firewall block? We could access it fine with our old 5505 firewall; they replaced it with an 881 a couple weeks ago. Why would the church block sugardoodle?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sugardoodle blocked?

Post by russellhltn »

"The church" does not rate every site. It uses a commercial web service to categorize websites. It's possible that that website hasn't been categorized. It's also possible that the advertising (some of which seems rather political) may have caused it to fail content filtering. And lastly, I'm unable to find an "about us" or "who are we?" Section. So it may have failed some policy to classify it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The site sugardoodle.net has been categorized as "social networking," which is blocked by policy.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting! Thanks.

I would have expected a more definitive error message, like "content blocked".
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:I would have expected a more definitive error message, like "content blocked".
Oh, the message definitely lets you know that the content was blocked. The page that is displayed is quite clear on that matter.

I was simply sharing the specific reason that was reported on that block page.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The page we got simply said "Session Timeout". Is that perhaps an issue with how our new firewall is configured, or just a temporary problem at HQ?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:The page we got simply said "Session Timeout". Is that perhaps an issue with how our new firewall is configured, or just a temporary problem at HQ?
I got the same message earlier today when I tested a firewall, so my guess is it's temporary.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Send Websense an email to suggest at websense.com and they should fix it. Explain what the content of the site really is, that it does not fit the category of a 'social networking' site as we define it today (however, you do see the commonly-posted 'chiclet' images to go to pages on Facebook or Google Plus or Pinterest, those remain on those sites and not sugardoodle.net.

Websense may have also confused the site with sugardoodle.com which is totally unrelated.

Blue Coat/K9 categorizes sugardoodle.com as 'society/lifestyle', sugardoodle.net as 'religion' which is the most accurate description of the content. Websense categorized sugardoodle.net as 'social networking' as noted, and the other I didn't look on aceinsight.com to see what Websense did with the unrelated site.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Good info, thanks, I'll do that.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

It's fixed now. aceinsight.com, Websense's site categorization lookup tool, now shows the site as 'traditional religions'.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”