Max IP Addresses

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: Max IP Addresses

Post by johnshaw »

craiggsmith wrote:I think the solution is to be able to control who gets on, and I was quite disappointed that they scrapped the lds account project. At this point I think the only solution is to change the wireless key and only give it to leaders and teachers, tell them not to give it out, and change it on a regular basis. But we can't do that either.
The issue related to the Wireless seems only to be a configuration problem. The Church has reported on other threads that they have technology in place where the local equipment is supposed to run in a 'cached' mode when it can't connect to the Controllers back in SLC. This is the breakdown. We need to wait for this resolution to make some larger decisions, IMHO.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Well, it depends on the capacity of the system. If we truly have enough bandwidth to handle everyone then great. In 2 of our buildings that might be possible, but not in the other two. Also, only 2 of our buildings use the new equipment so the others aren't affected by the HQ controllers.
ryan8382

Post by ryan8382 »

There are a few things that i think need to be addressed. Yes if you allow more people you split the amount of bandwidth. There needs to be a split between church equipment and public. In that you can setup some sort of throttling. This is something that should be done cause i'm still talking with the stake people on what streaming devices they are want to use.

The internet part is something that is another aspect, bandwidth is some places is at a premium. It would be pretty easy to put in a proxy server that would cache the content. At my house i use to play with a ClearOS linux box. That particular brand has the ability to push down config from a higher level. It has content filtering, IPS, and proxy built in. Maybe this is something that should be looked at.

Also i heard that LDS login project got put on the back burner, i think that one needs to brought back up as that is part of the complete solution. I'm not a coder otherwise so i would be no help, I'm a cable runner.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At the risk of stating the obvious: Unless you want to start filtering with MAC addresses (which would be a pain to administer), you have to issue an IP address to every device that asks for it. Only after it's connected can you find out how to prioritize the traffic from it - be it by what it's requesting or by the person's login.

And, just because you give a device an IP address, does't mean you have to give it any Internet bandwidth. So I don't see limiting IP addresses as a valid means of rationing bandwidth. Not unless you hold the limited pool over the leaders heads so as to not overshare the network password.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Since we can't currently monitor the router, change the password, limit bandwidth, etc., I'm not sure what to do in the short term; I'm debating whether to request an increase in IP addresses now or wait and see the effect of the 30 min lease time change. I'm surprised I haven't seen any comment on that. It seems it ought to be at least an hour.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I'm debating whether to request an increase in IP addresses now or wait and see the effect of the 30 min lease time change. I'm surprised I haven't seen any comment on that. It seems it ought to be at least an hour.
The device can renew as needed. The idea behind 30 minutes is that the lease will expire no later then 30 minutes after the device leaves the area. Unless your wards overlap the meeting scheudle, that should allow most of the leases for the first ward to expire before the rank and file shows up for the second ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

But a release and renew is going to kill whatever they are doing at the time, no?
gbekmezian

Post by gbekmezian »

craiggsmith wrote:But a release and renew is going to kill whatever they are doing at the time, no?
No. It doesn't release and renew. With a 30 minute lease, the client simply renews every 15 minutes (half the length of the lease period). There should be no noticeable impact to users.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks, great, I had read something to the contrary. It also said it might cause a bit of a load on the DHCP server but I assume that won't be an issue either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:But a release and renew is going to kill whatever they are doing at the time, no?
Assuming it can renew prior to the expiration, it shouldn't be a problem. I personally had a problem with my Linksys router and one hour, but that might just be an issue with the router and my computer not playing well.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”