WiFi down again

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

Re: WiFi down again

Post by drepouille »

Anyone who relies on wireless Internet for a Church class is quite the optimist. Teachers are trained to be ready for anything with a backup plan. All materials should be downloaded at home, and the most critical things should be printed.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I agree about not relying on the church network, but being the first Sunday of the year, it's quite likely a number of members suddenly discovered they didn't have the needed manuals in their device.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Ha. Right. Only weirdos like me (and you) would bother to download next year's manuals to our devices in December. Well, it isn't critical that students have manuals in class.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
brogers

Post by brogers »

I think there is a fair amount of optimism about what the Church can provide, and having Internet within our meetinghouses is certainly no exception. I would expect within a year we'd be quite surprised to not be able to connect to an on line resource if it will help in a classroom situation. It will take time to get it that smooth of course, but people are diving into the new curriculum with high hopes, I believe.

I'm tired of pulling my hair out wondering what I've got set up wrong in our networking setup. I must admit that each week I'm once again gladdened to hear that it's not on my side. I'll pray for our IS folks to get this figured out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brogers wrote: I would expect within a year we'd be quite surprised to not be able to connect to an on line resource if it will help in a classroom situation.
However, at this time we've been told:
  • The church Internet connect is residential grade (and in many cases less then what is possible in a residence)
  • It is shared with the whole ward.
  • At this time the church is not even promising that their servers can withstand the load for video.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brogers

Post by brogers »

brogers wrote:However, at this time we've been told:

The church Internet connect is residential grade (and in many cases less then what is possible in a residence)
It is shared with the whole ward.
At this time the church is not even promising that their servers can withstand the load for video.
Good points, and most of that won't change anytime soon. I guess what I was referring to is getting the kinks worked out of the system to the point where you can expect to have the wireless working at any given time, and to get to a usage pattern where bandwidth limitation is not a major issue.

Downloading presentation media ahead of time is definitely the best way to go, but having the option of doing something "on the fly" if that is what is called for in a given setting is important as well.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The meetinghouses in our stake have had wireless Since 2009 - it is long past the time when members think that wireless is a novelty, it is expected to be there. I do agree, however, that teachers should be able to adjust and be capable enough to lead the discussion without an issue.

I'm hoping the Church figures out their issues, I only wish for some instruction about what the proper course of action to take is if it happens again. What I hope to have clarified is whether our actions are helping or hurting the issue.

Maybe Kurt Olsen could go talk to them and then share with the tech community or RJones.... they seem to get this community, I wonder why more in that org choose not to participate with us.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I just called the GSD. They have a recorded message stating that the WiFi failure on 1/6/13 has been resolved. They request that the 881's be power-cycled to reset them. A 5 minute wait after the power cycle is required before all functionality is restored. No comment was made as to the reason for the failure.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:They [GSD] request that the 881's be power-cycled to reset them.
Do we actually need to run out to all of our buildings and reset the 881's, or will they take care of themselves, especially if we did not have any problem over the weekend?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:
techgy wrote:They [GSD] request that the 881's be power-cycled to reset them.
Do we actually need to run out to all of our buildings and reset the 881's, or will they take care of themselves, especially if we did not have any problem over the weekend?
I guess that depends upon what the problem was and they say. Since it only takes 5 minutes I would think that someone could reset it first thing on a Sunday instead of making a special trip - assuming that "someone" has access to the location it's stored in.

I didn't speak to anyone at the GSD so I don't honestly know what the effect would be if the 881 was not powercycled.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”