Restricting Meetinghouse Internet Access

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aclawson

Re: Restricting Meetinghouse Internet Access

Post by aclawson »

JohnShaw wrote:A Stake should have a classification like (If you have to travel more than xx minutes for meetings, higher speeds are acceptable in xx locations) etc...
I point out that every additional layer of requirements, criteria or rules is another point of failure and friction. Set up a rule like this and you will be guaranteed to find people who seek an exception for what is unquestionably a good reason (at least in their minds) so you either have to ignore them - telling them that their thoughts and needs are entirely irrelevant to everything and not even worth review - or you have to spend resources reviewing the requests.

The goals and plans for a stake are known best by the stake president. The STS should be the person to make those happen. Ask the STSs (through the stake president) what the needs are. Act accordingly. Solved.

As good rule of thumb estimate would be that all meetinghouses should have an upstream speed of no less than 3, ideally 5 and that you have 15-20 Mb/s for every unit that meets in a building concurrently: a building that overlaps three wards on Sunday should have 45-60 Mb/s download speeds, while a building that has 1 can probably get by with 15-20. While this is not possible in all areas it is a good target for which to shoot.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:The goals and plans for a stake are known best by the stake president. The STS should be the person to make those happen. Ask the STSs (through the stake president) what the needs are. Act accordingly. Solved.
While as an STS myself I agree with you in principle, it's the FM group's budget that ultimately foots both the installation costs (if any) and the recurring monthly ISP bills, so like it or not, their budgets (or lack thereof) are sometimes the deciding factor on what actually can get done in a given stake.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rolandc wrote:My testing of streaming videos BEHIND the 881's is they will buffer with only one computer and nothing else on, like on a Monday when nobody else is there. The ASA's do streaming video pretty well.
I thought that this claim didn't fit my experience, so I did a test. It wasn't on a Sunday, but I did have four video streams going at the same time in our FHC, which has an 881W connected to a cable modem rated at 15M/3M. All were playing different videos in the new youth curriculum. Every video played smoothly, with no pauses for buffering.

One of these days I'll try to do a more ambitious test to test the limits, but clearly the limits are far greater than the OP's claim of one computer.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

FWIW this past Sunday there were joint priesthood/rs meetings in the gym and the wireless network was acting all wonky. One of the members works for Cisco in one of their performance labs and says that our APs aren't very good at handling > 20-30 connections simultaneously.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:FWIW this past Sunday there were joint priesthood/rs meetings in the gym and the wireless network was acting all wonky. One of the members works for Cisco in one of their performance labs and says that our APs aren't very good at handling > 20-30 connections simultaneously.
I can't speak to what that Cisco employee said, but I think what you experienced on Sunday was much more likely to be the experience many buildings had, as described in the topic 881W Issues.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”