Adding UniFi AP to our building

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
papakoop

Adding UniFi AP to our building

Post by papakoop »

I am trying to add a Ubiquiti UniFi AP to our building, with the hopes of adding a total of 3 to get WiFi coverage throughout the building. Are these settings in the Firewall box that prevents them from being discovered? I cannot see them to manage them.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Adding UniFi AP to our building

Post by jdlessley »

You may need to contact LUS to have them make any necessary configuration modifications for the AP. There is no local access to manage the device.

If no configuration changes at the router are necessary, you may be able to configure the WAPs by connecting them directly to a computer and accessing the WAP interface. Once you have the WAPs configured you can deploy them. I cannot give you any further instructions for doing this without knowing what Cisco security device you have or what the static IP address range is. You can work with LUS to get the information you need. I do not know if they will walk you through the setup or not. If not, you will need to ask them specific questions about your setup so you can set the static IP address and the rest of the configuration settings.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Adding UniFi AP to our building

Post by aebrown »

papakoop wrote:I am trying to add a Ubiquiti UniFi AP to our building
Adding networking hardware is a responsibility of the FM group. You should work through your stake Physical Facilities Representative who can coordinate this with the FM group. The FM group purchases standard APs that are managed by the Global Service Center (not LUS, as jdlessley said).

I would strongly discourage you from trying to do this on your own. You would be wasting local Budget funds as well as your time, and the result would be nonstandard, which could cause a variety of problems now and in the future.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”