LDSAccess difficulties

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

LDSAccess difficulties

Postby jdlessley » Thu May 15, 2008 5:27 pm

The success rate in making wireless connections using LDSAccess in our stake building is dismal. I have tried to connect four notebook computers but have been successful only with one. The one that succeeded is a Windows Vista system. The other three are Windows XP Professional. One of the Windows XP notebooks is using third party wireless connection software instead of windows to configure the connection. In all cases just after entering in the password to connect the following message appears and the connection fails.
Wireless configuration
The network password needs to be 40 bits or 10 bits depending on your network configuration.
This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

For those of you who are more knowledgeable about wireless networking I could use some help. I have entered the correct password. Is there something I am overlooking?

In all cases the notebook's wireless hardware is built into the motherboard. I did not check on chipset manufacturers or anything like that.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3132
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Thu May 15, 2008 8:42 pm

The quote you found is referring to the older WEP encryption (which is NOT recommended) and can be ignored for using the recommended WPA/WPA2 encryption protocol.

As far as getting things to click with different adapters/OS's I can only guess at the problem, as I don't have hands-on experience with LDSAccess yet (only home and business wireless networks).
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 pm

jdlessley wrote:The success rate in making wireless connections using LDSAccess in our stake building is dismal. I have tried to connect four notebook computers but have been successful only with one. The one that succeeded is a Windows Vista system. The other three are Windows XP Professional. One of the Windows XP notebooks is using third party wireless connection software instead of windows to configure the connection. In all cases just after entering in the password to connect the following message appears and the connection fails.

For those of you who are more knowledgeable about wireless networking I could use some help. I have entered the correct password. Is there something I am overlooking?

In all cases the notebook's wireless hardware is built into the motherboard. I did not check on chipset manufacturers or anything like that.


As Mikerowaved mentioned, you should never get that message if you are using WPA security, which is what the LDSAccess profile uses. Many computers will recognize that the access point requires a WPA-Preshared Key and simply prompt you for the password. But if your computer requires you to manually set the wireless settings, make sure you are specifying a WPA-PSK, and that it has the right SSID (LDSAccess). Then when you enter the key, you should have a better chance of connecting.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 am

Unfortunately I do not control the security protocol for the connection - I do not have the option to select the security protocol.

When the network 'LDSAccess' is identified after a scan for networks the only selection available is to connect. After the connect button is clicked then the password must be entered. It is after entering the password (twice) that the error message is displayed.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Fri May 16, 2008 7:41 am

jdlessley wrote:Unfortunately I do not control the security protocol for the connection - I do not have the option to select the security protocol.

When the network 'LDSAccess' is identified after a scan for networks the only selection available is to connect. After the connect button is clicked then the password must be entered. It is after entering the password (twice) that the error message is displayed.

Is this the screen you are referring to after a scan for networks?

Image

Click on the "Change the order of preferred networks" and it will take you to some properities windows where you can more finely tune the connection (as shown in the following images).

Image

Image
Attachments
wireless1.jpg
wireless1.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 610 times
wireless2.jpg
wireless2.jpg (18.57 KiB) Viewed 603 times
wireless3.jpg
wireless3.jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 600 times

danpass
Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

manual addition of wireless network

Postby danpass » Fri May 16, 2008 8:35 am

mkmurray wrote:
Click on the "Change the order of preferred networks" and it will take you to some properities windows where you can more finely tune the connection (as shown in the following images).

Image


On more than one occasion, I've had networks listed in the preferred networks box that I could not connect to even when all the settings were correct in the properties for that network. But if I used the Remove button just to the left of the Properties button to delete the network and then use the Add button to manually add the network back and set the properties there, then I was able to connect with no problem.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Fri May 16, 2008 10:00 am

danpass wrote:On more than one occasion, I've had networks listed in the preferred networks box that I could not connect to even when all the settings were correct in the properties for that network. But if used the Remove button just to the left of the Properties button to delete the network and then use the Add button to manually add the network back and set the properties there, then I was able to connect with no problem.

Yes, I agree; I've had to resort to that a few times. Sometimes it has done the trick.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20775
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Fri May 16, 2008 11:25 am

danpass wrote:On more than one occasion, I've had networks listed in the preferred networks box that I could not connect to even when all the settings were correct in the properties for that network.


I've had cases where I have to place the current network at the top of the list in order to connect. If I don't, it tries and fails repeatedly.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Fri May 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks mkmurray. I think what you suggest will work. I hadn't thought of looking for configuration options at that point. Again Microsoft's cryptic and totally useless dialogs take their toll.

User avatar
DenleyAn
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DenleyAn » Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 pm

In my toying with LDSAccess I have discovered that drivers make all the difference with WPA connections. If I install a Cisco wireless card in my laptop Windows will happily assign it drivers and it will work just fine, until you try to make a WPA connection, when it will totally fail to work. If I then load the Cisco drivers the WPA connection will work 100%. I have noticed this for a couple of different wireless cards, including some HP built-in ones. It's not the only situation I have seen where Windows provides it's own drivers that don't do the job and don't let you know that the drivers are substandard.
Australia Area ICS Department


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests