Meetinghouse Wifi Idea

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

kd5nrh wrote:This is why I'd prefer to do it from a dedicated computer, NAS, or a USB drive hooked to the router. With Toshiba Canvio 1G USB external drives for $80 at WalMart, there's not much reason to clutter an existing HDD for this. Using an isolated system and network also allows it to be wide open to everyone for read access.
I have 9 meetinghouses in my stake, that gets pretty darn expensive, how do you keep them updated with the latest content? Might work well if I could hit my meetinghouses in a few minutes, but doesn't work in my stake.

The 881W does not support a USB drive hooked to a router, it would need to be a stand-alone NAS, or Media Center...

I thought long and hard about it. The solution I have uses available resources at each meetinghouse, is designed to be permanent or temporary depending on where the Church eventually goes, has an automated distribution and clean-up and allows for both have's and have not's to use it. Most people, even if they are very non-tech savvy, can click through a 'Netflix-like' menu system to do a search, or can click and search for a 'Mormon Message' by title.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

jdlessley wrote:Additionally clerk computers are to be used for Church record keeping and, where necessary, family history work (ref: Handbook 2, 21.1.11). In my opinion, using it for this purpose is not record keeping or family history work. But then the stake president may see it differently.
You certainly are free to draw the conclusion you have, the information from the handbook you have supplied has changed the wording a bit, I think, to support your conclusion. The quote as it is in the handbook is this:
As authorized by the Church’s presiding councils, some Church units are provided computers for purposes such as record keeping and family history. The stake president oversees the placement and use of computers in the stake.
As I read that, the computers are provided for purposes such as, those you have listed, but the sentence, to me, clearly has no indication that the such as applies exclusively to recording keeping and family history. So as my Stake President has authorized its use for the purpose of enhancing Gospel learning, leadership development and training - through the use of Media (Music, Video, Picture Art), I'm going to follow that direction.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Media Server & STB

Post by JonesRC »

JohnShaw wrote:The 881W does not support a USB drive hooked to a router, it would need to be a stand-alone NAS, or Media Center...

I thought long and hard about it. The solution I have uses available resources at each meetinghouse, is designed to be permanent or temporary depending on where the Church eventually goes, has an automated distribution and clean-up and allows for both have's and have not's to use it. Most people, even if they are very non-tech savvy, can click through a 'Netflix-like' menu system to do a search, or can click and search for a 'Mormon Message' by title.

Several great ideas in this thread. I wanted to tap into John's thoughts here because it currently encapsulates our thinking and ideas related to delivering media to the meetinghouse. We are thinking of a local micro media server attached to the network and using STB Clients to access the stored media via the wifi infrastructure.

Trying to stream a single video is a touch and go scenario so we are hopeful that by utilizing the existing Internet bandwidth to keep a server updated with the latest media we would be able to make media more accessible and trustworthy. Your comment about the have and have not's is critical as well.

We don't want to create an environment where only those who have personal devices can use the media. If we can provide a simple and cost effective solution that would allow those with personal devices to stream through a box connected to a display device and at the same time act as a client to the media server for those who don't we would be able to allow all members access to media.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and any ideas you have. We are working on a prototype to demonstrate the idea. Many of you have already implemented like scenarios so your thoughts regarding your implementation and challenges would be appreciated. Thank you for the great discussion.
Attachments
flyer-v7.pdf
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 180 times
flyer-v7.pdf
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 184 times
flyer-v7.pdf
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 171 times
flyer-v7.pdf
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 195 times
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Have you seen the new Roku-Projectors... that might be a nice for meetinghouses and seminary.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:Have you seen the new Roku-Projectors... that might be a nice for meetinghouses and seminary.

How many lumans? I suspect it will requre a very dark room to work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Roku 3M Projector

Post by JonesRC »

JohnShaw wrote:Have you seen the new Roku-Projectors... that might be a nice for meetinghouses and seminary.

I did see the release of their little package. Could be a solution for quick set up and use. I am interested is getting my hands on one of the Roku Sticks and seeing how that works. Something to keep an eye on. Thanks John.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

RussellHltn wrote:How many lumans? I suspect it will requre a very dark room to work.
Here are a couple of links to the announcement. Low lumens and 800x480 resolution. But for a quick and dirty application probably sufficient..."in a very dark room"

http://www.gizmag.com/3m-projector-stre ... ent/24467/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/05/3m-r ... projector/
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

I don't have any relevant experience or useful suggestions to add to the discussion, but just wanted to say I like the direction this is headed!!
JLR
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRC wrote:Trying to stream a single video is a touch and go scenario so we are hopeful that by utilizing the existing Internet bandwidth to keep a server updated with the latest media we would be able to make media more accessible and trustworthy. Your comment about the have and have not's is critical as well.
I agree. Is there any advantage to using a caching proxy server to lighten the bandwidth load for other parts of lds.org? Of course right now it's all https, so that's not going to help, but if there was a way to use both http and https (without triggering security messages) and caching the common parts, I'd think it would help in other applications as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chspillane

Post by chspillane »

Worth exploring.

Audio becomes an issue, though, as I find that most leaders and saints don't know how to use the adapter from the library to pipe it into the house sound. I have members from other wards contact me asking for an orientation when they're working a projector. Maybe they're working to advance the audio connections in newer buildings, but none that I've seen, yet.

The other challenge is the size of the image projected. It might work in one of the youth classes, but not on the 5th Sunday when the adults are combined in the chapel. In those instances I still plug into the building's projector, get the audio adapter from the library, and access the content all through my iPad.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”