WiFi Password

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I think the priesthood holds the keys to obtaining the reasonable bandwidth for the location, I'd rather focus on this than on figuring out limitations. Once you start limiting, again, in my opinion, only the 'cool kids' will have access.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In some areas, short of installing microwave towers or stringing new lines on the poles, it's just not available.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:That's all well and good if the bandwidth can support all the wants. But not all meetinghouses are located where they can get that much bandwidth. In that case, the priesthood holds to keys as to who should be allowed.
I understand the issues with bandwidth in some places can cause problems. However, that does not justify not giving out the password so all can use the resource that tithing dollars have purchase for their use. I have really enjoyed being able to still use LDS.ORG tools no matter what chapel I have been in within my area and outside my area. I would not have been able to do this if I did not have the password.

While I understand that the SP has the key of leadership for the stake. In the case of giving out passwords I find it hard that a SP on his own decided to not give out the passwords but did so on the advise of their STS. Which I believe was bad advise given all the reasons I have heard here on the forms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:While I understand that the SP has the key of leadership for the stake. In the case of giving out passwords I find it hard that a SP on his own decided to not give out the passwords but did so on the advise of their STS. Which I believe was bad advise given all the reasons I have heard here on the forms.

Sure, if the meetinghouse network could meet all the needs of all the members, then there's no reason to restrict it. But that is not always the case. I think the best use of the lds.org tool in the meetinghouse is for the leaders of the ward. Not for the general membership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:I think the best use of the lds.org tool in the meetinghouse is for the leaders of the ward.

Define leaders, would that include the Deacon Quorum and Beehive Class Presidency?
RussellHltn wrote:Not for the general membership.
But is not the whole purpose of LDS.ORG for the general membership to use and enjoy in learning the gospel more fully?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Define leaders, would that include the Deacon Quorum and Beehive Class Presidency?
Yes.

Gary_Miller wrote:But is not the whole purpose of LDS.ORG for the general membership to use and enjoy in learning the gospel more fully?

What exactly would they be doing on lds.org while in the meetinghouse that is more important then the leaders?

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:Yes.
How about the Primary Teacher, Cub Scout Den Leader, or Boy Scout Troop Guide. Where does one draw the line?
RussellHltn wrote:What exactly would they be doing on lds.org while in the meetinghouse that is more important then the leaders?
I would suppose the same thing the leaders are doing, checking calendars, looking at lesson schedules, reading the news letter, referring to the conference talk that's being taught in Priesthood and RS meeting, adding something the heard in their notes and journal, using the scriptures, etc.. Is that enough or do you want me to go on? I can think of allot of reasons the "General Membership" may have to use the WIFI not only during Sunday meetings but during other times they are in the church. We even use it during Round table to look up Boy Scout related items.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:How about the Primary Teacher, Cub Scout Den Leader, or Boy Scout Troop Guide. Where does one draw the line?
At the point resources run out.

Gary_Miller wrote:I would suppose the same thing the leaders are doing, checking calendars, looking at lesson schedules, reading the news letter, referring to the conference talk that's being taught in Priesthood and RS meeting, adding something the heard in their notes and journal, using the scriptures, etc.. Is that enough or do you want me to go on? I can think of allot of reasons the "General Membership" may have to use the WIFI not only during Sunday meetings but during other times they are in the church. We even use it during Round table to look up Boy Scout related items.

And yet somehow they survived before the WiFi was installed. FWIW, we haven't had WiFi installed in our buildings. So for us, NONE of our member (except the ones who can afford a data package) gets data in the meethinghouse.

(John's not the only one with FM problems.)

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:At the point resources run out.
The point is the only place the line can be drawn is at the "General Membership" level because the "General Membership" are the ones who can benefit the most. I can not think of one calling in the ward that doesn't benefit from the WiFi and LDS.ORG.
RussellHltn wrote:And yet somehow they survived before the WiFi was installed.
We use to hunt our meat with a rock to, but I much prefer using a gun or purchasing meat from the store.
RussellHltn wrote:, we haven't had WiFi installed in our buildings. So for us, NONE of our member (except the ones who can afford a data package) gets data in the meethinghouse.
Once you do have it you will wonder how you did without it. There is so much available on LDS.Org that can be used during meetings. But I think you knew that.

RussellHltn wrote:(John's not the only one with FM problems.)
Yes FM can be a problem not just on the Tech side of things. Having been in the FM carrier field for most of my life, not in the church, it a mystery I have yet been able to figure out. The only thing I have been able to come up with is that the management side of FM has no practical experience.

The problem with placing the Technology stuff under FM is you have a bunch of Engineers in charge who training is in facilities maintenance and not Information Technology.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:The point is the only place the line can be drawn is at the "General Membership" level because the "General Membership" are the ones who can benefit the most. I can not think of one calling in the ward that doesn't benefit from the WiFi and LDS.ORG.

Although I would certainly agree that most if not all callings can benefit from using WiFi, I think it's certainly possible and even required to draw lines if your building's current network simply won't support hundreds of people using the connection simultaneously. Sure, we may all agree that the nursery leader could benefit from accessing LDS.org, but is that more important than the bishop accessing CDOL to find how to contact another bishop or to enter a missionary application, or for a ward clerk to adjust an upcoming event on a calendar that had to be moved and send out notifications about it? Those answers are pretty clear.

Leadership often requires making judgments about how to allocate relatively scarce resources (budgets, building use, the bishop's time, etc.); this is a similar situation where in some cases some people will simply have to be denied WiFi access. That doesn't mean that leaders and other people involved don't make efforts to improve the network so that more people can benefit from it, but that may take some time.
Gary_Miller wrote:Yes FM can be a problem not just on the Tech side of things. Having been in the FM carrier field for most of my life, not in the church, it a mystery I have yet been able to figure out. The only thing I have been able to come up with is that the management side of FM has no practical experience.

The problem with placing the Technology stuff under FM is you have a bunch of Engineers in charge who training is in facilities maintenance and not Information Technology.

I don't see how the only possible conclusion is that "the management side of FM has no practical experience." My first assumption (which I know is certainly true in some cases) is that budgets are sometimes tight and when the FM group has to prioritize needs, enhanced WiFi coverage may come behind fixing a leaky roof, paying the electric bill, and resurfacing the parking lot that is riddled with potholes. Certainly some FM groups are weak in the IT area, but it doesn't seem practical for the Church to create a whole local organization for managing IT, so there will be some rough areas as we implement IT improvements.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”