Networking options

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mevans

Post by mevans »

ulupoi wrote:You need to have both devices plugged into the same power circuit.
I'm not an expert on this, but have worked with other devices signaling over the power lines. Chances are you can use more than one circuit...you just need to stay on the same phase unless you have a phase coupler to pass the signal between phases. I'd suspect your church building has three phase power (since you're in the U.S.A.), so there are three phases. I don't know how far the signal will propagate.

You might find that things like motors from HVAC systems make things work better or worse when they're on. For example, I've heard of cases that electric motors when running can bridge the phases and let the signal get to the other phases and when they shut off devices stop working. But I've also heard that the motors can be noisy and kill the signal even when it's on the same phase.

I just mention this in case it helps you get more out of your solution that seems to be working. If you're not familiar with three phase power and how it works, you might have an electrician in your ward/stake who can help you identify circuits on the same phase. It's worth a try and might give you more options on how you use your powerline ethernet adapters.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Moderator Note: I moved this discussion from the thread Need to download a web presentation from lds.org to a new thread in a more relevant forum section. The original discussion dealt with downloading a web presentation; the ensuing discussion was all about networking.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

RussellHltn wrote:The reliability is somewhere around wireless. All it takes is one noisy device being plugged in and you're toast.

In older buildings it may not be possible at all. At our stake center I tried ethernet over power and learned that due to the way that the building was wired it was impossible to get the network connections to work - the electric connections in one part of the building were physically separated from those in the other parts.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

JohnShaw wrote:They still rely on wireless, when doing events, one of the primary steps to success is to eliminate wireless to limit issues related to bandwidth being taken by numbers of members in attendance. I don't disagree that it can be useful in circumstances, but I'd never want to upload or download stake conference or any stake meeting for that matter on the device.
Powerline Ethernet adapters don't use wireless at all. I suppose an easy solution (easy if it works), would be to use powerline Ethernet adapters to physically connect the presentation computer to the Internet, then physically disconnect all the wireless transmitters from the firewall to eliminate the competition.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ulupoi wrote: I suppose an easy solution (easy if it works), would be to use powerline Ethernet adapters to physically connect the presentation computer to the Internet, then physically disconnect all the wireless transmitters from the firewall to eliminate the competition.
Currently we cannot shut down the 881W wireless locally. The signal range can be reduced by removing the antennae. But the signal cannot be eliminated.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

jdlessley wrote:Currently we cannot shut down the 881W wireless locally. The signal range can be reduced by removing the antennae. But the signal cannot be eliminated.

The simplest thing you can do to stop the signal after you remove the antenna's is to get a small piece of metal screen (think screen door on your house) a 6" x 18" will do. shape it like a long U and place it over the antenna ports. No signal will get through.
Roland

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”