Number of DHCP addresses from the new 881 firewall?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ldsrussp
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Number of DHCP addresses from the new 881 firewall?

Postby ldsrussp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:32 am

Curious as to how many DHCP addresses the new firewall has available. We seem to be experiencing a case of IP exhaustion in one of our ward buildings which really surprises me.

User avatar
johnshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 1834
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Postby johnshaw » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 am

It appears from my installs that 64 is the default number with .1 through .10 reserved as static, that leaves you about 50 or so... That was not sufficient to support my new stake center with 3 wards and the stake meeting there, and the GSC was able to add an additional range easily enough.

Call the GSC if you need to expand your range.

rolandc
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Postby rolandc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:13 am

ldsrussp wrote:Curious as to how many DHCP addresses the new firewall has available. We seem to be experiencing a case of IP exhaustion in one of our ward buildings which really surprises me.


Are they on DSL?

If not then call Global they can add more but they cannot remove them. You have to do a hard reset for that.
If you are on DSL adding more IP address WILL compound the problem
Roland

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:36 am

rolandc wrote:Are they on DSL?

If not then call Global they can add more but they cannot remove them. You have to do a hard reset for that.
If you are on DSL adding more IP address WILL compound the problem


What problem are you talking about? The reported problem is running out of IP addresses. Clearly, configuring the firewall to issue more IP addresses will help, not hurt, that problem.

I can only imagine that you are supposing that there is also a bandwidth problem, and that adding more IP addresses could make that problem worse. That's theoretically possible, but since no bandwidth problem was mentioned, that's speculative. I've found that many of the IP addresses are issued to devices that are rarely using much bandwidth, so there's not a direct correlation between IP addresses in use and bandwidth usage.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

rolandc
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Postby rolandc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:54 am

aebrown wrote:What problem are you talking about? The reported problem is running out of IP addresses. Clearly, configuring the firewall to issue more IP addresses will help, not hurt, that problem.

I can only imagine that you are supposing that there is also a bandwidth problem, and that adding more IP addresses could make that problem worse. That's theoretically possible, but since no bandwidth problem was mentioned, that's speculative.


We have several building across three stakes that we have had to reduce the available Wifi because they are on DSl.

No he did not mention it, That is why I asked. ? in the first line.
Roland

ldsrussp
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Postby ldsrussp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:44 am

No, plenty of bandwidth. Cable modem has around 20 mbit download on avg. (nice). Just when second ward arrives in afternoon it's about 40 minutes before IP addresses become avail. for many to be able to connect. Sounds like all I need is to call the GSC and problem will be solved. Thks.

rolandc
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Postby rolandc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 am

ldsrussp wrote: Sounds like all I need is to call the GSC and problem will be solved. Thks.


Correct but it will be a different subnet.
Roland


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest