Too Much WiFi - Not Enough Internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

rolandc wrote:Slow is a relitive term. My ward is usually at 12 to 14Mbit so 2.68 - 3.12Mbit is slow. I should have said that during a light load in runs at rated speed.

Roland, I agree with Russ. If you are saying that it is slow with just you on it, then there is something that is using the bandwidth.

You should be able to look in the DSL modem to see the usage on the circuit and how much bandwidth you are using. There is something, I believe, that is taking the bandwidth and you need to determine what it is. I agree that 3 megs isn't fast, but when I had DSL at home, it was adequate for just me.

I would recommend that you plug a computer into the DSL connection and do a speed test and see what you get. Then move it behind the 881W and see if you get the same speed. If so then the firewall isn't slowing your performance down. It is a device on the network that is.

Terry
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

RussellHltn wrote:It sounds to me that either the ISP bandwidth is less then rated, or something is sapping the bandwidth. 3Mbit should be adequate when you're the only one there.

I agree.

Just to reiterate the point, the mere existence of a device on the network doesn't mean it's actually using any outbound bandwidth. Most devices on the network are relatively quiet until actively used. If people are supposed to be listening to church, hopefully most of them are dormant in terms of network activity.

Also - the nature of most Internet traffic is that it's transient. There is a very light outbound request followed by an incoming response accompanied by some data (which may be variable in size ranging from a few KB to a few MB). Unless you have a couple people streaming videos, you shouldn't see a consistent, steady slower-than-expected bandwidth.

- Unless - You have some mal-acting client on the network. Some client with an out-of-control network service running. Could be malware. Could be Sophos doing a large update (but it shouldnt' last *that* long). So after I ensured my bandwidth I'd be starting to scrub all the computers to find who/what is generating all the traffic.

As suggested, do the speed tests both behind and in front of your 881 router. If the bandwidth from your provider is confirmed (and you're going to have to live with it), then perhaps consider removing the wireless. It's a pretty draconian step, but the Internet connection is first-and-foremost for the clerk/MLS use - so ensuring they have the BW they need would definitely come first.

Theoretically, the authentication system will allow certain "classes" of users wireless privileges at different time/day increments. Perhaps this is a use case where only leaders would be able to log on to the WiFi. We'll have to see what exactly is possible after the solution launches.

Good luck.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sammythesm wrote:then perhaps consider removing the wireless.

Or at least prioritize and only activate WiFi in the most needed areas and not the general membership at large.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

RussellHltn wrote:Or at least prioritize and only activate WiFi in the most needed areas and not the general membership at large.

That is what I did, 1 AP over RS room and a private one in the clerks office so the split ward bishops can have WiFi for thier meetings. Only the Bishop's have the password.

GSC will not change the password for any reason, as they know they are close to the roll out of the new log in.
Roland
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

Biggles wrote:Purely out of interest, will the authentication system work with the 1100 series WAP's and Pix 501, when it goes live?
At the Northeast regional meeting/conference call I was on last year, the presenter said that it would be at the firewall level (dont remember which firewalls supported it) and that everyone who wanted to get out to the internet would need to login.
I got the impression that a login might not be needed for certain Church sites (such as the servers MLS talks to, LDS.org, etc), but access to the internet at large would be restricted to those who logged in and were in a category (ie: Leaders, Adults, Youth) approved by the Stake President for internet access.

Aaron Z
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

rolandc wrote:That is what I did, 1 AP over RS room and a private one in the clerks office so the split ward bishops can have WiFi for thier meetings. Only the Bishop's have the password.

GSC will not change the password for any reason, as they know they are close to the roll out of the new Sign in.

To test your speed to the Church Servers, go to speedtest.lds.org. Compare this with speedtest.net

Even with 3MB download, it sounds like something else may be coming into play. If you get a good result in the speedtest you may consider taking a computer with a clean/new Windows installation (or Linux) before bloatware gets installed, and see what your browsing experience.

I have a hunch that you will have a faster, more responsive browsing experience if you test it using a computer which has a clean installation of Windows or Linux OS. Just a hunch, but I think it's worth the time to test the theory.

There must be a better explanation because 3 or 4 computer that are just browsing the Internet will not have that much of an impact with your available bandwidth.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Bright House just finished a site survey, the are now telling me that High speed cable based internet is available. However because no provision was made for it when the building was built they will have to drill under the parking lot to install. Ok so he tell me the price.

SIXTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Looks like DSL will be the service for quite awhile
Roland
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

rolandc wrote:Bright House just finished a site survey, the are now telling me that High speed cable based internet is available. However because no provision was made for it when the building was built they will have to drill under the parking lot to install. Ok so he tell me the price.
OUCH. Some have had luck with paying an extra $10/month for internet and TV (then not using the TV) rather than just internet to get the install charge waived.
Would seem that leaving a couple of 2-4" conduits empty under the parking lot of all new buildings would be worth the price down the road...

Aaron Z
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

rolandc wrote:Bright House just finished a site survey, the are now telling me that High speed cable based internet is available. However because no provision was made for it when the building was built they will have to drill under the parking lot to install. Ok so he tell me the price.

Roland. This is correct,a cost savings measure the church uses on all meetinghouse construction projects, excludes bringing utility to the building. I have similar quotes for 8 of my buildings.

It was mentioned in the switch over announcement moving internet to fm control, that national accounts were being pursued. Has anyone had experience from that benefit. It would sure help to utilize the fact that thousands of meetinghouses are on the account list, not just my 3 buildings. that
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

Authentication will be at the firewall level and based on your ldsaccount. There will be user level control as to what site(s) a user can access. The system that controls user level access is in development currently.
Aczlan wrote:At the Northeast regional meeting/conference call I was on last year, the presenter said that it would be at the firewall level (dont remember which firewalls supported it) and that everyone who wanted to get out to the internet would need to login.
I got the impression that a login might not be needed for certain Church sites (such as the servers MLS talks to, LDS.org, etc), but access to the internet at large would be restricted to those who logged in and were in a category (ie: Leaders, Adults, Youth) approved by the Stake President for internet access.

Aaron Z

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”