Streaming vs Satellite

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Streaming vs Satellite

Post by SheffieldTR »

The question has been asked a number of times so we thought it would be a good idea to address it here.
Question::confused:
I have heard that Internet Streaming is going to replace Satellite transmission for broadcasts and events. Is that true?

Answer:;)
The short answer is that for events originating in Salt Lake City, Utah, Satellite is the current mode of choice and will be for the foreseeable future.

While it is true that this has been looked at in the past and could be looked at again in the future as technology improves, it is not the Church’s plan to replace satellite with internet streaming or video conferencing.

Having said that, there may be applications locally where Internet Streaming could augment or assist local needs around certain broadcast events such as stake overflow for General Conference, regional events and stake conference overflows as well as addressing extended travel issues in some areas.
CalvinBChristensen

Re: Streaming vs Satellite

Post by CalvinBChristensen »

Lds broadcast
oleolsenlds

Post by oleolsenlds »

A lot has changed in the technology world since the original post 11.5 years ago. I just completed a survey from the Church regarding how our units use or IF they use the satellite. One of the survey questions was how would we feel if the satellite was removed. I see a possible change coming.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

oleolsenlds wrote:I see a possible change coming.
I prefer satellite to streaming. The setup is easier, there is no relying on the fickle Internet. If the electricity is on, the satellite is on. Hook up the projector, turn on the sound system, and go.

If the local leaders prefer not to go with the satellite live feed, I usually have to stream. I have noticed that there are fewer events with satellite repeat broadcasts than there used to be. General Conference is the exception.

There is one event that only comes over the satellite and is never streamed. I wonder how the Church will handle those occasions if they dump the satellite system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I prefer satellite to streaming. The setup is easier, there is no relying on the fickle Internet. If the electricity is on, the satellite is on. Hook up the projector, turn on the sound system, and go.
I agree with you there. Super simple.

I think there's too many units with no/poor internet for the church to ever drop satellite completely. But I can imaging that they might move a number of buildings to internet options.

Seems like bad timing given that they just updated our receivers. Nor does going to internet eliminate the need to update the distribution system in the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:There is one event that only comes over the satellite and is never streamed.
What event is that?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Mikerowaved wrote:
lajackson wrote:There is one event that only comes over the satellite and is never streamed.
What event is that?
Would that be Temple dedications?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Would that be Temple dedications?
That would be my guess. But I'm sure there's ways of dealing with that. Perhaps a unique URL for each authorized meetinghouse that only allows one "user".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:
What event is that?
Yes. Perhaps there are ways to do it now with Internet and browser technology. But last I checked, if I can get the URL, I can get the feed. With satellite broadcasts, the Church controls whether or not the receiver can view the broadcast.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:
Biggles wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote: What event is that?
Yes. Perhaps there are ways to do it now with Internet and browser technology. But last I checked, if I can get the URL, I can get the feed. With satellite broadcasts, the Church controls whether or not the receiver can view the broadcast.
Yep, there is. Currently a stake president can request a URL with login credentials for any satellite event, including temple dedications.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”