Cisco 881W activation and wifi range issues.

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sphester wrote:What does the 1041n cost?
Your FM group is responsible for ordering (and paying for) the major networking components such as the firewall (currently the Cisco 881w) and wireless access points (currently the Cisco 1041n). So the actual cost shouldn't really be an issue for a local unit, unless perhaps the FM group has different budget priorities and a stake president offered to help adjust those priorities by providing stake funds to help pay for such equipment. In any case, the FM group is your contact for such questions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

FM's should have budget for this but so everyone can be on the same page...Cisco 881Ws are $500.00 each. Cisco 1041Ns are $215.00 each, but you need to buy a power injector for power for it and those are $65.00 each.
aebrown wrote:Your FM group is responsible for ordering (and paying for) the major networking components such as the firewall (currently the Cisco 881w) and wireless access points (currently the Cisco 1041n). So the actual cost shouldn't really be an issue for a local unit, unless perhaps the FM group has different budget priorities and a stake president offered to help adjust those priorities by providing stake funds to help pay for such equipment. In any case, the FM group is your contact for such questions.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

bradhokanson,

FM should have... truer words were never spoken. So what is your advice if FM says they have no budget for it, and 2013 budget is already done....
dbm42

Post by dbm42 »

My understanding was that the CISCO 881W only had to be installed in a secure room, such as a locked communications room, or the clerk's office, not in a secure cabinet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dbm42 wrote:My understanding was that the CISCO 881W only had to be installed in a secure room, such as a locked communications room, or the clerk's office, not in a secure cabinet.

I think it's fair to say that the 881W needs to be in a secure place. Finding an entire room that one considers sufficiently secure could be difficult.

Keep in mind that anyone with physical access to the firewall would be able to bypass it. As such, I'm not altogether sure that the clerk's office is all that secure. Particularly since I'm reading reports that in some units the clerk's office is used for other things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

JohnShaw wrote:bradhokanson,

FM should have... truer words were never spoken. So what is your advice if FM says they have no budget for it, and 2013 budget is already done....

JohnShaw,

First sorry it has taken so long to respond...got a bit busy at work ;-).

I would say if the FM says they do not have budget for it, have the Stake President address it with him. My understanding and experience has been that the Stake President has the authority to push this with the FM group and the FM group should be accepting and accommodate.

Brad

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”