Filtering objectionable Web sites from Ward PCs and Wifi

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
BarryHill

Filtering objectionable Web sites from Ward PCs and Wifi

Post by BarryHill »

I was asked by our leaders how we assure objectionable websites are blocked from access over our ward/stake WiFi and router and how we test it to assure it is working and setup properly. I have the impression that this is managed by HQ VIA the firewall. I also know that our WiFi blocks http://www.MyFamily.com with a message that it is classified as a social networking site.

Does anyone have a more satisfactory / complete answer that I can provide?

Thanks

Barry
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

barryhill wrote:I have the impression that this is managed by HQ VIA the firewall.
That is correct. You can verify if it's working by trying to go to http://www.gambling.com

If you can get there, something is wrong with the firewall or it's been bypassed. I doubt if the firewall is perfect (I don't think anything is), but it seems to satisfy church requirements. Sometime, a new authentication procedure will take place where members will have to log in to get access and the stake president will have some say in what groups can have what level of access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You can read more about the firewall at the wiki article Meetinghouse firewall. Filtering is discussed in the Internet filtering section of that article.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:That is correct. You can verify if it's working by trying to go to www.gambling.com

That's no longer the suggested test site. Instead, a special test URL has been created: http://filteraudit.cjclds.net. If the firewall is working correctly, you'll get a block message when you try to hit it. If not, you'll get a message telling you that Internet filtering is not working.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Thanks Alan! I'll use that when testing filtering, that is a great idea to have a test site that one can go to and still be safe, AND know if everything is right with the filtering component of our security suites both in meetinghouses and FHCs or other places on the Church network.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”