Old Cisco Pix Box 501 & Replacements?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd check for extra conduit for telephones. Failing that, depending on the local utility laws, cable may be able to share the conduit with telephone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

You might be able to talk the cable company into footing the underground bill if you also sign up for $10/month TV (which you never have to use). Another possibility is to see if the FM group has tried negotiating with the cable company for both Internet & phone service. The cable company might be willing to work something out for you.

Another consideration would be to build a small enclosure nearest the cable pole and place the equipment inside of it. Then just rely on wifi to cross the parking lot and use boosters/rebroadcasters inside. It really depends on the outdoor layout as to whether this would deliver acceptable performance or not.

Also the phone company may be willing to pull fiber in if you're lucky to have one with that technology available. You could also check into bonding DSL if offered (rare) or if the cable company could pull in along the existing phone cable to the building.

If the building has a justifiable need for higher speeds the stake president may be able to get more push from the area office to the FM group to run underground cable.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbeede wrote:You might be able to talk the cable company into footing the underground bill if you also sign up for $10/month TV (which you never have to use).
I heard that the church had agreements in place with some of the major cable companies that they would do the install. I'd be curious if the FM manager is trying to "go it alone" or is using some of the resources at CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:I heard that the church had agreements in place with some of the major cable companies that they would do the install. I'd be curious if the FM manager is trying to "go it alone" or is using some of the resources at CHQ.
Last year our FM group tried to work with Comcast to waive/reduce the rather hefty installation fee to bring a cable from the surrouding neighborhood to the building's demark point, but apparently they did not have much success. For the time being, we will have to make due with the rather slow DSL there until something better comes along.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”