DSL too slow for remote building location, Need good alternative

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
JeffTurgeon

DSL too slow for remote building location, Need good alternative

Post by JeffTurgeon »

We recently installed a complete Internet network (WIFI & Hardwired) in a remote building in a more rural location. Pretty blue sky and open fields but we discovered a drawback by being so far off the beaten path.

There is no cable service in the area so we were forced to use DSL. The problem with DSL is the fact that we are too far from the telephone switching office to get a good connection speed. We are seeing speeds of 0.6Mbps and the they said they can't give us any better at this time. This speed can't maintain a steady video feed and if more than 1 device is connected I'm sure the connection will screech to a hault.

Does anyone know of another ISP that maybe uses a satellite dish or something that can be used as an alternative until a cable operator eventually thinks it would be worth the investment to string up cables in this remote location?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's been a few years, but you might look into Xilec Broadband. At the time one of the options they had was to use 3G wireless networking. I don't know as you want to go satellite. It's not very fast and has a very long latency.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

You may want to look into the possibility of a third party DSL provider. They sometimes can offer newer technology to deliver higher speeds at greater distances.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

You might research as to where the last cable company lines actually ends before your location. If it isn't that far off then try negotiating an X year contract where you purchase Internet and TV (cheapest basic). When you mix in TV (which you don't even have to use or hook up really) some companies will do more on the actual installation work.

I'd also research what 3G and 4G options are available via cell providers.

For satellite the latency is higher so don't expect very smooth real-time video streaming (like live general conference). For pre-recorded events you should be able to get by for video streams. One popular company in the U.S. is http://www.hughesnet.com/
More costly though.

You may just have to be grateful you have DSL as an option over dial-up. Do try being very picky about your building wiring and the phone wire to the DSL router. You might even try doing a temporary test and hooking the DSL modem into the main link jack with 0 splitters to see if that improves the quality. I assume that your DSL plan offers higher speeds which should be possible if you were closer into town.

I lived in a town once that had a wireless option too. You pointed an antenna at a tower up to a mile away and got up to 11mbps. You could consider large outdoor directional wife antennas to go from say a well setup stake center to your building or something. Just need a decent line of sight (no mountains) and the mounting hardware.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”