MLS up/down load via Internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
djremund
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Yuba City, CA USA

MLS up/down load via Internet

Postby djremund » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:37 pm

With the recently granted permission to connect the clerk's computers to the Internet, where can I find information on setting it up to do MLS uploads and downloads via the Internet as opposed to the present dial-up network?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:21 pm

First, make sure the following is met:

1) You must have Desktop 5.5 or approved substitute loaded on your computer. You can download Desktop 5.5 from http://mls.lds.org. The Stake Technology Specialist should have the login information.

2) You must be connected via a church network (not just some ISP installed by the ward or stake)

To set MLS, go into the System Options page. The same place you'd set up a new dial-up phone number. By default, I think it's set to "automatic" (automatically choose between Internet and dial-up) but I've heard it doesn't always work right.

Dennis Shiozawa-p40
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm

MLS 2.8 download

Postby Dennis Shiozawa-p40 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:08 am

We want to download the update to MLS 2.8 from the web site rather than have the dial up phone modem at the church tied up for 40 minutes.

I tried to log in but the site will not acept the password the bishop received from the church. It is the password used to order the manuals for this year. Is that a separate site and password? It worked fine from my work office in December.

From the note above it appears we may also need to be on a 'church network' to connect. Is that the case? Could you define exactly what a church network is and how it differs from the stake or ward sites? Or do I need to contct the stake and get a pasword from them?

Thanks for whatever light you can shed on this.

Dennis

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 am

Dennis Shiozawa wrote:We want to download the update to MLS 2.8 from the web site rather than have the dial up phone modem at the church tied up for 40 minutes.

I tried to log in but the site will not acept the password the bishop received from the church. It is the password used to order the manuals for this year. Is that a separate site and password? It worked fine from my work office in December.

From the note above it appears we may also need to be on a 'church network' to connect. Is that the case? Could you define exactly what a church network is and how it differs from the stake or ward sites? Or do I need to contct the stake and get a pasword from them?

Thanks for whatever light you can shed on this.

Dennis

MLS 2.8 does not equal a broadband internet connection. It is merely an update to MLS. MLS has been able to work with a broadband connection for a few versions now. However, the broadband connection for MLS computers is based on getting approval from your Stake and Church HQ.

A "Church network" is discussed in the following thread (here's a link): [thread=792]Internet Connection for MLS?[/thread]

As far as the MLS 2.8 download, if you want to get it now, you do have to talk to your Stake Technology Specialist (it is a separate account and password). However, if you wait about a week or two, it will just come down automatically the when you do a regular send and receive.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 am

Here's another post that might be helpful: [post=9464]Cisco PIX firewall[/post]

djremund
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Yuba City, CA USA

Postby djremund » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:02 pm

RussellHltn wrote:First, make sure the following is met:

1) You must have Desktop 5.5 or approved substitute loaded on your computer. You can download Desktop 5.5 from http://mls.lds.org. The Stake Technology Specialist should have the login information.

2) You must be connected via a church network (not just some ISP installed by the ward or stake)

To set MLS, go into the System Options page. The same place you'd set up a new dial-up phone number. By default, I think it's set to "automatic" (automatically choose between Internet and dial-up) but I've heard it doesn't always work right.



That much we have. What we need is a URL, or IP address, etc., no? (I am not at the clerk's office now.)

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20725
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:27 pm

DJRemund wrote:That much we have. What we need is a URL, or IP address, etc., no? (I am not at the clerk's office now.)


I think MLS "knows" that information already. You just have to tell it to use the network instead of dial-up.

I sure don't remember proving any URL information when I converted one unit several months ago.

djremund
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Yuba City, CA USA

Postby djremund » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.Worst it will do is blow up. ;)

gregneg
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:15 am
Location: Elk Grove, California, USA (At the moment)

Download options for 2.8

Postby gregneg » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Dennis Shiozawa wrote:We want to download the update to MLS 2.8 from the web site rather than have the dial up phone modem at the church tied up for 40 minutes.

I tried to log in but the site will not acept the password the bishop received from the church



If you check your MLS messages file, you will find a message about how you log-on to http://mls.lds.org/ --- or as mentioned elsewhere, call your Stake Clerk. You could log on to the site, download 2.8 to a CD or USB stick --- and use that to install it on the Clerks' computer. :cool:

*** Be aware**** that a "refresh" request goes to SLC on your next connect. You might want to put member record changes on hold until after the refresh from SLC happens.

---- or ---- you could do as at least two recent MLS messages suggested ---- "connect" when you first get in to the office and let that modem download go while nothing else is going on. :rolleyes:

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Refresh?

Postby aebrown » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:46 pm

elderj1 wrote:*** Be aware**** that a "refresh" request goes to SLC on your next connect. You might want to put member record changes on hold until after the refresh from SLC happens.


That's not my experience. I'm curious what your reasoning is for claiming that a refresh is requested. And even if a refresh is requested, I can't imagine why you would have to put member record changes on hold -- they should be processed just fine, even if it were true that a refresh is requested.


Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest