Members using LDS Id's to authenticate in meeting houses

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

JohnShaw wrote:In three of my meetinghouses I have PIX 501's still, these are very limited in the amount of IP's the give out, due to licensing restrictions (as told to us by GSC) the only way to add IP's is to upgrade to the 881W.
If you check out this post https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... #post66667 in the forum, this is what I did to overcome the Pix 501's IP address limitation. All IP handling was done by the router, especially the WAP's.

This will not help your limited DSL speeds, though!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Biggles wrote:If you check out this post https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... #post66667 in the forum, this is what I did to overcome the Pix 501's IP address limitation. All IP handling was done by the router, especially the WAP's.

This will not help your limited DSL speeds, though!
All well and good, but then you are managing separate WAP's, SSID's etc... the reason that LDSAccess is so nice is there is only 1 time needing to have the SSID and password + it is FMG responsibility at this point. How can we hold FMG accountable for their responsibility if we keep end-running and spending Budget money on things that there (supposed to be anyway) is a budget for elsewhere. If I can't use these items to drive FMG priorities, then they will never be priorities, etc... It is much easier to have someone in a local unit call the GSC and walk through troubleshooting, with commercial products you must manage it. Maybe for you that is pretty easy, I have 9 meetinghouses and the drive for me to several of them is 1 to 1.5 hours.

It is easy to seek out the easy, quick solution, but it does contribute to another issue that is very large for many stakes.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

JohnShaw wrote:All well and good, but then you are managing separate WAP's, SSID's etc... the reason that LDSAccess is so nice is there is only 1 time needing to have the SSID and password + it is FMG responsibility at this point. How can we hold FMG accountable for their responsibility if we keep end-running and spending Budget money on things that there (supposed to be anyway) is a budget for elsewhere. If I can't use these items to drive FMG priorities, then they will never be priorities, etc... It is much easier to have someone in a local unit call the GSC and walk through troubleshooting, with commercial products you must manage it. Maybe for you that is pretty easy, I have 9 meetinghouses and the drive for me to several of them is 1 to 1.5 hours.

It is easy to seek out the easy, quick solution, but it does contribute to another issue that is very large for many stakes.
I used the same password etc. on the router. No additional management required, just ensure that the wireless is set to a non conflicting channel!

I understand your frustration, we also had problems getting our equipment updated. At the end of the day, it made my life a lot easier (and frustrated leaders) for the princely sum of £28.00, which probably equates to about 28.00 dollars!
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

Interesting read here. Kind of explains why when I recently travellled on business to Florida and Nevada, my device logged right in to those buildings' wireless access. On one trip, I was with my brother, and his building has wireless, but it's not setup like the LDSAccess in my building or those I visited. INterestingly enough, I told him what the password was in my device from my building, and he was also able to gain access.
joe.tandy

Re: Members using LDS Id's to authenticate in meeting houses

Post by joe.tandy »

Regarding limited IP addresses, I contacted SLC and asked them to reduce the DHCP lease time from the default of 24 hours to 30 minutes. With 3 units in our building the 1st ward always won. The 2nd and 3rd wards were always struggling to connect. Once the lease time was reduced the number of connection complaints went down by 50%. It still didn't change the fact we only had 50 licenses, but it addresses the users who click on their phone to check a text and then off again. Now they claim an address for 1/2 hour instead of all day.

I also upgraded to the 881W a few days ago. The new one had a /25 network instead of a /26, so that increased our available IP addresses to 123 (they don't have all addresses available in the static range or DHCP pool for some reason). I asked them for some additional ones and the gave me a /24 *in addition* to the /25. Again, with not all addresses being available, we now have around 370-something. He gave me the static ranges and the DHCP ranges so I can manage certain devices if need be.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”