Member access to WIFI in church building

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: Member access to WIFI in church building

Post by johnshaw »

however, if this is still happening in a stake, the only person who can make this decision is the Stake President. The password is pretty commonly known and there just doesn't seem to be much of a reason anymore to keep the password exclusive to an 'elite' group.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

diazt wrote:I was Counselor of the Primary in Cambridge MA. I wished to know the password many times as I prepared classes, sharing times, etc. But the only person that could make use of it was the Primary President, the Bishop, and some that work in the offices. No one wanted to facilitate to me.
As mentioned, that's the stake president's decision. While most church buildings have good Internet, some are on slow DSL and even 4G. Some may even be metered (the church pays by the GB). In those situations, it wouldn't be surprising if the leaders choose to restrict who can use it. Rich media has a big impact on the network - far more than just updating calendars and such. So that may well have played a part in their decision.

diazt wrote:I also have an Autistic boy who needs visual aids and different lds apps to help him be calm at Church. I think Leaders are being unjust with the members as the internet it should be available for everyone, not just for leaders.
The WiFi is provided for "church use". Not necessarily "for use while at church". Some leaders may not view that as church use - particularly given the impact it would have on the network. And as pointed out, I wouldn't rely on rich media working at church. The typical chapel has the same internet connection found in a home - now imagine sharing that with 150 of your closest friends and that's what Church internet is like. I'd also note that during a stake conference, you may find WiFi turned off completely - to assure that any webcast (sending or receiving) will not encounter the dreaded "buffering" message.

diazt wrote:We also need to use our own agency, and not be restricted.
There's a reason there's locks on some doors inside the chapel. Some will use their agency to the detriment of others.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brianrhunt

Post by brianrhunt »

As a Family History Consultant in our Ward, the lack of WFi on Sunday makes holding training classes almost impossible, where members want to use their own notebooks to build on their family tree. Could be overcome if we could find a doner willing at share their 4g wireless router capacity. Just that every obstacle put in the way makes this Family History work less likely to proceed. Family History Computers are not available for this purpose.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

brianrhunt wrote:As a Family History Consultant in our Ward, the lack of WFi on Sunday makes holding training classes almost impossible, where members want to use their own notebooks to build on their family tree. Could be overcome if we could find a doner willing at share their 4g wireless router capacity. Just that every obstacle put in the way makes this Family History work less likely to proceed. Family History Computers are not available for this purpose.
I wouldn't recommend holding the classes on Sunday. That's the busiest day for FamilySearch, and for the meetinghouse network.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:I wouldn't recommend holding the classes on Sunday. That's the busiest day for FamilySearch, and for the meetinghouse network.
An informal poll would probably show that the majority of them are held during the 2nd hour. Just my personal opinion.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”