Firewall upgrade deadline

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Firewall upgrade deadline

Post by russellhltn »

As a STS I got the following email: "each meetinghouse firewall needs to be updated to the latest configuration. The update improves the network performance and allows more users to connect to the network. The meetinghouse networks must be updated by the end of August 2015."

This is not a new upgrade, but the one rolled out in October that boosted the IP pool to 990 - in fact that's what's used to see if you have the current version.

It does point reader to the Upgrading an Existing Meetinghouse Firewall. Of course, Step 1 is "Connect network devices to correct firewall ports". That may be a significant issue for meetinghouses that haven't broken out their FHC or other specialized things from the rest of the network.

No reason was given for the deadline or what might happen if it was not met. But I wouldn't rule out that the upgrade is done regardless of if they are ready. My best guess is that it's to minimize the number of different firewall configurations that are supported.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Re: Firewall upgrade deadline

Post by rolandc »

Just to add a reminder.

If your building has a webstat on what will become the public side, it MUST have its addressing set to dynamic BEFORE the upgrade. Otherwise FM will not have access to it. Arrangements need to be made first.
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

New deadline:
If you have not yet completed the update, please note that on October 19, 2015, all eligible firewalls that have not been updated will be automatically updated in order to bring all systems to the current configuration.

Please be aware that:
•Failure to prepare for and perform this update yourself may result in network connectivity issues for official family history centers connected to a firewall, on or after the date listed above.
•After the update, you will also need to reassign static IP addresses to any meetinghouse equipment that is currently assigned a static IP address (typically printers and clerk computers) in order for these devices to work on the network.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

rolandc wrote:If your building has a webstat on what will become the public side, it MUST have its addressing set to dynamic BEFORE the upgrade. Otherwise FM will not have access to it. Arrangements need to be made first.
I worked closely with my FM on these upgrades last year, and gave him plenty of warning. I used TM to find all devices connected to the firewall, and told my FM which port they were connected to, and whether they were using dynamic or static IP addresses. I even bought lunch for him and his techs. His eyes glazed over at all the "technical terms" I used, and his staff was not responsive, so I moved all devices in all four FHCs in my stake to port 2, and upgraded the firewalls. If that broke his webstat devices, it was now his problem. Sometimes such things don't become an actionable issue with them until they are forced to fix them.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”