Sporadic Internet Filtering

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
paulw

Sporadic Internet Filtering

Post by paulw »

For the last 3 weeks I attended church in different locations thanks to a much needed vacation. What I found interesting was that each location let me access the Internet without filtering. As a STS for my stake I know a fair bit about networks but this has me somewhat baffled. I ensured my phone was connected to the LDSAccess access point and not using my mobile data plan. Then I tested Internet access at filter.lds.org and youtube. I also verified I was using the correct DNS settings (8.34.34.92 and 8.35.35.92).

What I don't understand is that my device could access the Internet just fine (without filtering) but if I borrowed someone else's device to test with Internet access was properly filtered. The only thought that comes to mind is that if filtering is done on the DNS level then perhaps my phone is just really good at maintaining its DNS cache so it never queries the filter.

Has anyone else experienced issues similar to this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sporadic Internet Filtering

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible. A test for that would be to restart your phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”