Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one right way to do a photo directory. Here is what I've seen:
- MLS Companion Database - has picture capabilities but I can't tell if it will do a directory... plus requires an export from MLS
- LDS Compact Directory - easy directory creator from LUWS csv, but no pictures
- LDS Ward Photo Directory Wizard - looks like it was created in 2007, I have no idea if this works with the MLS 3.1.X updates...I did just install it and it looks like it would be best if it were run from the MLS computer, however, the instructions do say how to copy a .txt file out of the MLS Directory of Members report
- Ward Directory - no information is given on the download page or on the site...However, I did install it and it will work with a CSV output from LUWS... unfortunately I can't figure out how to have the program keep the photos from import to import... essentially meaning you'd have to re-add the photos each time.
- Custom Python Code - developed in Sep of 2009, so probably works better with MLS 3.1, but requires some tech/geek skills :-)
- Manual cut, paste, edit
So, before I go install every application above and test it out (LOL: looks like I've already installed most of those above), does anyone have a preference? Which one has worked best for people? Am I missing links to another great ward directory creator program?
Also, I prefer to avoid using the MLS Export feature... the CSV download from the LUWS is WAY easier because you can do it at home. Right now there are so many things to try and get done while we are at church (with no internet access), that remembering to ask someone with an admin login to MLS to export the data is kind of hard to do.
In the end, it would be great to recommend one program to our new ward photo directory person and have it be easy to update (e.g.: download new CSV from LUWS, take new pics, rename pictures, run program, VOILA! New PDF of ward photo directory).
Keywords: Photo directory picture photos pictures