Excommunication

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
rlovely-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 7:20 am

Excommunication

Postby rlovely-p40 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:01 am

If a person is excommunicated will their ward have their records or will they be with another entity? We had a person that was excommunicated and worked with the stake presidency and was rebaptised. I couldn't print out a baptismal certificate. Should I have this persons records or would the stake or headquarters maintain the records until his standing with the church is changed?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15064
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 am

rlovely wrote:If a person is excommunicated will their ward have their records or will they be with another entity? We had a person that was excommunicated and worked with the stake presidency and was rebaptised. I couldn't print out a baptismal certificate. Should I have this persons records or would the stake or headquarters maintain the records until his standing with the church is changed?


The stake takes care of all the communication with the Office of the First Presidency (or the Church administration office in some areas) on matters of excommunication. Once the excommunication has been processed, the membership record will be removed from the ward's MLS on the next Send/Receive.

When an excommunicated member is rebaptized, the stake submits the Baptism Record for Readmission. Once that form has been processed, the record will be sent down to the ward on the next MLS Send/Receive. The stake definitely never maintains any membership records; the record will be in the ward, once the administration office has processed the action. But you do need to be patient; these processes can take a few weeks.

nmecantwin73
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Utah

No new certificate

Postby nmecantwin73 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:41 pm

rlovely wrote: I couldn't print out a baptismal certificate.


Once the record is processed by the church and comes down to your ward's MLS, the baptism date on the member's record will be the member's original baptism date, not the re-baptism date. You should not need to generate a new baptism certificate.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15064
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

njcant1 wrote:Once the record is processed by the church and comes down to your ward's MLS, the baptism date on the member's record will be the member's original baptism date, not the re-baptism date. You should not need to generate a new baptism certificate.


That's not quite accurate for a member who had been endowed. The baptism date will not be restored to the original date until a restoration of blessings takes place, which is at least a year after the rebaptism.

But in any case, you are right that there is no need for a new baptism certificate -- a major goal of welcoming an excommunicated person back into the Church is to restore their previous blessings and ordinances. Once that happens, the original baptismal certificate is all they need.

melsam04
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Re: Excommunication

Postby melsam04 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:25 pm

If a person is rebaptised and previously was a Melchizedek priesthood holder, do they go through the process of being ordained in the Aaronic Priesthood again or do they receive no priesthood and work to have their blessings restored and then receive the priesthood through that process?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24398
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Excommunication

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm

melsam04 wrote:If a person is rebaptised and previously was a Melchizedek priesthood holder, do they go through the process of being ordained in the Aaronic Priesthood again or do they receive no priesthood and work to have their blessings restored and then receive the priesthood through that process?

That process is outlined in Handbook 1: 6.12.12. I'd consult with the bishop.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 7853
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Excommunication

Postby lajackson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 pm

melsam04 wrote:If a person is rebaptised and previously was a Melchizedek priesthood holder, do they go through the process of being ordained in the Aaronic Priesthood again or do they receive no priesthood and work to have their blessings restored and then receive the priesthood through that process?

A man who has been endowed will receive the priesthood when his blessings are restored. If he was not endowed, he should be ordained an elder at the time of his baptism. Either way, he does not go through all of the offices of the Aaronic Priesthood again as he may have done originally.


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest