Brethren serving in Primary

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
znauga
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Brethren serving in Primary

Postby znauga » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:31 pm

alextovey wrote:Hey everyone, just have a question as this was possed to me earlier today. is Brethern who is in "nursury" counted in the HPG attendace in their meetings and also if someone is on stake business in another ward do we count them as well.

if you could let me know would be great as i thiknk they are counted but not 100%

many thanks


We were recently advised in our Stake that men were not to be called as teachers in Primary. Not sure if this is Church policy or a decision of our Stake Presidency. Either way I acknowledge the policy may be different in other areas.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:43 pm

znauga wrote:We were recently advised in our Stake that men were not to be called as teachers in Primary. Not sure if this is Church policy or a decision of our Stake Presidency. Either way I acknowledge the policy may be different in other areas.


I would strongly recommend that your priesthood leaders read the 26 May 2006 letter from the First Presidency on this topic, which to my reading says the exact opposite of your stake's policy.

NOTE: I moved your post and my reply to a new thread, since it has little to do with attendance counting.

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 am

Alan_Brown wrote:I would strongly recommend that your priesthood leaders read the 26 May 2006 letter from the First Presidency on this topic, which to my reading says the exact opposite of your stake's policy.
I was just wondering if that letter happened to be linked anywhere.

For example:
http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,7020-1,00.html
http://www.lds.org/pa/ym/SafeguardingChildrenLtr.pdf

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 am

jbh001 wrote:I was just wondering if that letter happened to be linked anywhere.


I can't find it online anywhere (although I'm sure it's in the Official Communication Library, accessible by stake presidents).

That is unfortunate, because the 26 May 2006 letter specifically refers to the 23 February 2006 letter that you linked to and said that some units went too far and stopped calling brethren to serve in the Primary, which was not a proper response to the 23 February 2006 letter.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:51 pm

znauga wrote:We were recently advised in our Stake that men were not to be called as teachers in Primary. Not sure if this is Church policy or a decision of our Stake Presidency. Either way I acknowledge the policy may be different in other areas.


I think the information at the safeguarding children page should cover this.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

james_francisco
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Postby james_francisco » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:08 am

I suspect that just banning men from serving in primary is a more common response by stake and ward leaders than we might suspect. It's a really natural response to a risk management issue to just ensure that there is no chance of the risk event occuring.

Alan_Brown wrote:I can't find it online anywhere (although I'm sure it's in the Official Communication Library, accessible by stake presidents).

That is unfortunate, because the 26 May 2006 letter specifically refers to the 23 February 2006 letter that you linked to and said that some units went too far and stopped calling brethren to serve in the Primary, which was not a proper response to the 23 February 2006 letter.

shawnlg-p40
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:36 am
Location: USA

Postby shawnlg-p40 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:49 am

James_Francisco wrote:I suspect that just banning men from serving in primary is a more common response by stake and ward leaders than we might suspect. It's a really natural response to a risk management issue to just ensure that there is no chance of the risk event occuring.


And it is more efficient. It takes 2 men to teach 1 class and 1 woman to teach the same class. They assign a person who is hesitant to teach to be in Primary class with me. It works out well when he comes, but when he does not come, I prop the door open and no one has a problem with that.

I remember when I first heard this directive where men needed 2 and women didn't. I became very angry. After thinking about it, I realized how easily people can aposticize. I never thought I would have a problem with church doctrine, but then this hit me. I now make it a point not to react negatively when I hear something I don't like. My kids saw how I reacted, and they started complaining about our Stake President who announced no sleepovers. So now, I keep it to myself and don't spread discontent and try to understand or at least accept things I don't like.
Shawn

User avatar
PNMarkW2
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

Postby PNMarkW2 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:56 pm

shawnlg wrote:I remember when I first heard this directive where men needed 2 and women didn't. I became very angry. After thinking about it, I realized how easily people can aposticize.


Not with this policy, but I was in the Bishopric at the time and became rather upset with someone over a fairly minor issue. Nobody went inactive, but I came to better understand why some active members just stop coming.

In Ward Counsel yesterday we went over Youth Protection and this very policy. I think it's worth noting that 2-deep leadership is not only about protecting kids, it's about protecting adults from false accusations.

The actually letter from Salt Lake lists a couple of ways men can serve in the Primary, 2-deep teachers is one of them. Keeping the door open (or having glass in the door), and having a member of the Primary Presidency randomly drop by is another.
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn

User avatar
Michael_Newman
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: USA

Postby Michael_Newman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 pm

PNMarkW2 wrote:N

The actually letter from Salt Lake lists a couple of ways men can serve in the Primary, 2-deep teachers is one of them. Keeping the door open (or having glass in the door), and having a member of the Primary Presidency randomly drop by is another.


Our branch went to the two-deep policy for both men teams and women teams - plus the small glass windows have been installed on all doors.

As a scoutmaster for 18 years, we always used the same policy anytime we interacted with the boys and teens.

User avatar
marianomarini
Senior Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Vicenza. Italy
Contact:

Postby marianomarini » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 am

I hope none will be hurt by my comment, but is very interesting viewing as cultural background affect policies, and its interpretation!
I think there are also different local situations. Here in Italy there are few primary teachers because all man are call in Priesthood (YM included) and SD organization. Branch/Ward are divided when reach 100 Sacrament meeting attendance; so always few Priesthood holder to cover all callings needed.
I like "pioneer units"! We have so many troubles but child abuse.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest