Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
craigbc
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: USA

Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby craigbc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 am

Hello,

We have a prison branch in our stake and we just changed the branch president. I cannot figure out how to record the new branch president. The individual is listed in the branch as an Out of Unit Member but I cannot see his name from the calling screen. I am trying to do this at the stake level. Does it need to be done at the branch level?

Any help is greatly appreciated. What was easy in MLS appears impossible through lds.org and the LCR tools.

Craig Christensen
Stake Clerk

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6139
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby lajackson » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:16 pm

When you (or the branch) entered the out-of-unit information, did you include priesthood information? He will not show up on the calling drop down unless his out-of-unit record shows that he is an elder or high priest.

You are correct that the stake records the branch president, but it has to come after the branch enters the out-of-unit record, including priesthood information.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:47 pm

lajackson wrote:You are correct that the stake records the branch president, but it has to come after the branch enters the out-of-unit record, including priesthood information.

With wards being able to add out-of-unit records on Leader and Clerk Resources, priesthood information is no longer required. All the ward needs to create the out-of-unit record on Leader and Clerk Resources is the branch president's name, and his membership record number. Then, after his record is created on the ward level, he can be given the branch president calling on the stake level. The branch president (or a bishop, for wards) is the only ward leader who needs to be recorded on the stake level – counselors and clerks can be recorded by the branch president (after he's added) or by a ward-level clerk.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

craigbc
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: USA

Re: Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby craigbc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:13 pm

I must have something wrong. The new branch president was the 2nd counselor in the branch presidency. He is recorded as an out of unit member. His Priesthood is recorded.

The error I get is "Your search by name or MRN did not return any valid results, either because the information you entered is incorrect, or because the results are not allowed in this context. For someone serving from outside the ward or branch, please have a clerk add him or her as an out-of-unit member."

His name shows up under the members list as an out of unit member.

I may have to call Salt Lake.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:49 am

craigbc wrote:The error I get is "Your search by name or MRN did not return any valid results, either because the information you entered is incorrect, or because the results are not allowed in this context. For someone serving from outside the ward or branch, please have a clerk add him or her as an out-of-unit member."

My guess is that for some reason your candidate is not qualified to be a branch president. LCR is quite strict in applying the Handbook. Unfortunately, it's unclear to me what is required to be a branch president. I know a bishop must be married and a high priest. I don't know if either applies to a branch president. The other possibility is that you may have to release him from his current calling. I don't think you can do that directly at the stake level, but perhaps you can release the current branch president and that should auto-release his councilors.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby jonesrk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:34 am

craigbc wrote:I must have something wrong. The new branch president was the 2nd counselor in the branch presidency. He is recorded as an out of unit member. His Priesthood is recorded.

The error I get is "Your search by name or MRN did not return any valid results, either because the information you entered is incorrect, or because the results are not allowed in this context. For someone serving from outside the ward or branch, please have a clerk add him or her as an out-of-unit member."

His name shows up under the members list as an out of unit member.

I may have to call Salt Lake.

I wasn't able to do it by name, but if I put in his MRN it found him. That was from the stake level.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

craigbc
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: USA

Re: Prison Branch - how to record an Out of Unit Branch President

Postby craigbc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank you very much. When I used his MRN I found him.


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests