Membership Number

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
kwaits
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:52 am

Membership Number

Postby kwaits » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 am

Membership numbers are viewable in the online directory and I would like to have them hidden. I see that other wards in my Stake are hidden, it's just in my Ward where members have the ability to view anybody's membership number.

Is there a setting that I need to change somewhere?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Membership Number

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:03 am

kwaits wrote:Membership numbers are viewable in the online directory and I would like to have them hidden. I see that other wards in my Stake are hidden, it's just in my Ward where members have the ability to view anybody's membership number.

Is there a setting that I need to change somewhere?

I really doubt that all members can view anybody's membership number. You may very well have a calling that allows you to see everyone's membership number in your ward. You might be talking to others who have similar permissions and assuming that everyone can see them. Also, note that everyone can see their own number as well as numbers for those in their household.

In any case, there is no setting for this -- permission to see membership numbers is based on calling (and certain ward or stake callings affect the scope of which members you have permission to see numbers for), household position, etc. I think if you do more research into just who can see what, you'll find that membership numbers aren't as broadly visible as you have assumed.

kwaits
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:52 am

Re: Membership Number

Postby kwaits » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:47 am

That's kind of what I thought. This problem was brought to my attention by a member of the ward. I haven't checked her permissions yet. She shouldn't have any but maybe she has permission by accident. Thanks for the insight.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Membership Number

Postby eblood66 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:51 am

kwaits wrote:That's kind of what I thought. This problem was brought to my attention by a member of the ward. I haven't checked her permissions yet. She shouldn't have any but maybe she has permission by accident. Thanks for the insight.

Make sure that she isn't seeing her own number and the members of her household and assuming everyone can see them.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20779
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Membership Number

Postby russellhltn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:19 am

kwaits wrote:I haven't checked her permissions yet. She shouldn't have any but maybe she has permission by accident.

Make sure she's not using her husband's login (and he's a ward leader). I've seen that happen a number of times.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Membership Number

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 am

russellhltn wrote:
kwaits wrote:I haven't checked her permissions yet. She shouldn't have any but maybe she has permission by accident.

Make sure she's not using her husband's login (and he's a ward leader). I've seen that happen a number of times.

And a variation on that is that she's using her login, but it's connected to his membership record number. That has the same effect.


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests