New Unit Information Sharing at ICS

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
james_francisco
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

New Unit Information Sharing at ICS

Postby james_francisco » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:28 am

The stake where I serve as stake technology specialist was formed in the middle of February. Every time that I call the IT help desk or the Global Service center I have a conversation that goes like this:

tech rep: can I have your unit number please?
me: Our unit number is nnnyyy. (as I read it off of MLS)
tech rep: I can't find that number, What is the name of the stake?

This happens every time. The last time that this happened was 10/15 Is there some serious data communications lag?

bboy-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:01 am
Location: West Jordan, Utah

new information sharing

Postby bboy-p40 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:37 am

There is a lag time. When a new unit is created, the member leader forms must be sent into the church by the Stake Clerk. Once that info is received, the info is imput into the Church Directory of Leadership. From that the units are set up including activated so that MLS can transmit to the church.
Thank you for your interest in this issue.

james_francisco
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Postby james_francisco » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:54 am

I do understand the lag time. I assisted in filing the original paperwork. My issue is that after eight months, we are still getting the same responses from the help desks. We haven't had problems with transmission of MLS data, our issue has been with recognition from technical support.

bboy wrote:There is a lag time. When a new unit is created, the member leader forms must be sent into the church by the Stake Clerk. Once that info is received, the info is imput into the Church Directory of Leadership. From that the units are set up including activated so that MLS can transmit to the church.
Thank you for your interest in this issue.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6131
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:04 pm

James_Francisco wrote:I do understand the lag time. I assisted in filing the original paperwork. My issue is that after eight months, we are still getting the same responses from the help desks. We haven't had problems with transmission of MLS data, our issue has been with recognition from technical support.


Make sure you have the correct unit number. If you do, then the help desk has a problem.

The next time they cannot find you, ask them about it. Tell them you have been a unit for eight months. Ask them how often they update their database. Certainly they update it more often than once a year. Then, after you have tweaked them, just let it go.

Keep in mind, though, that they occasionally mistype a unit number and cannot find our stake of 30 years when I give them my unit number. That, however, is the symptom of a different problem.

SmithGW
Community Moderators
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:42 am

New Unit Information Sharing

Postby SmithGW » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 am

James_Francisco had a conversation like this:

tech rep: can I have your unit number please?
me: Our unit number is nnnyyy. (as I read it off of MLS)
tech rep: I can't find that number, What is the name of the stake?

I'm not entirely certain, but I think it would probably help to explain that it is a new stake and that the information hasn't made it through the system yet. Then, if you still have trouble with them, they do have a problem.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20733
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

smithgw wrote:that the information hasn't made it through the system yet.


How long should that take?
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest