Executive Secretary

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
luvmy8dz-p40
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Executive Secretary

Postby luvmy8dz-p40 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:00 pm

What sections of MLS should the Executive Secretary have access to? Our outgoing ES has had access to all except "Edit Recommends." I don't think the incoming ES should have access to Finance or Membership. Am I correct?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14690
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm

luvmy8dz wrote:What sections of MLS should the Executive Secretary have access to? Our outgoing ES has had access to all except "Edit Recommends." I don't think the incoming ES should have access to Finance or Membership. Am I correct?


It's not clear if you are talking about the ward or stake level, except that Edit Recommends is only available at the stake level. In any case, the stake president or bishop makes the final decisions, but in general it doesn't seem like an ES should have Finance access. The Using MLS: Ward and Branch Instructions says (the stake version is very similar):

Who May Use MLS? Bishopric members, the executive secretary, the ward clerk and assistant clerks, and priesthood and auxiliary leaders and their secretaries may be given access to MLS. It is important that all MLS users are assigned the correct access rights according to their callings.

User Rights. An MLS user should receive only the rights needed to perform his or her calling. For example, those who use MLS for entering donations (e.g., financial clerks, bishopric counselors) should have “Finance” rights. As members receive new callings or are released from callings, their access to MLS should be changed to reflect current assignments.

mgcooper
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: Brier, WA USA

Postby mgcooper » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

luvmy8dz wrote:What sections of MLS should the Executive Secretary have access to? Our outgoing ES has had access to all except "Edit Recommends." I don't think the incoming ES should have access to Finance or Membership. Am I correct?

The decision rest with the Bishop or Stake President as to what level of access the ES should have in MLS. Each ES is given assignments at the beckoning of the Bishop/President which varies to great degrees depending on the needs of the B/P.
As Stake ES, both the Stake Clerk and I have full access to MLS, including the Temple Recommend activation both at Church and online. I am normally the one present when the Stake President is interviewing for recommends, and I activate them upon completion of the interview and this works for our local needs... so it is really going to be decided by the individual needs of each ward or stake.

rmaughan
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Postby rmaughan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:47 pm

In the Ward MLS, it used to be that a user did not have access to the "Action and Interview List" unless they had "Edit Membership" rights. Some wards would give their Executive Secretaries "Edit Membership" rights so they could access this report (in other wards the clerk would print it and give it to the ES).

I just checked in MLS 2.8.3 and this has been changed so that a user with at least "View Membership" rights has access to the "Action and Interview List". I would suggest using this for your ES -- although it is really up to the Bishop.

My philosophy is to give rights to only those that need it -- the less cooks in the kitchen usually the better!

Also, the Ward MLS has two rights for Recommends -- "View Recommends" and "Edit Recommends". I don't know why there is still something called "Edit Recommends" since that is all done at the Stake level now. I suspect that will go away in a future release. In fact, you can't even select that right in the Ward MLS.

The "View Recommends" is a heirarchal right in that if you select it, the user also gets "Edit Membership" rights. I don't like that. Bishopric counselors might need the ability to view recommends, but they probably usually don't need to be editing membership records. Again, it's up to your Bishop to decide.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:12 pm

robm wrote:My philosophy is to give rights to only those that need it -- the less cooks in the kitchen usually the better!


And fewer places to point fingers. ;)

I also see it as a morale issue. The fewer people who have access to change things, the more responsible the person in charge feels. At least that's how it works for me.

User avatar
daddy-o-p40
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby daddy-o-p40 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:41 pm

robm wrote:In the Ward MLS, it used to be that a user did not have access to the "Action and Interview List" unless they had "Edit Membership" rights. Some wards would give their Executive Secretaries "Edit Membership" rights so they could access this report (in other wards the clerk would print it and give it to the ES).

I just checked in MLS 2.8.3 and this has been changed so that a user with at least "View Membership" rights has access to the "Action and Interview List". I would suggest using this for your ES -- although it is really up to the Bishop.

My philosophy is to give rights to only those that need it -- the less cooks in the kitchen usually the better!

Also, the Ward MLS has two rights for Recommends -- "View Recommends" and "Edit Recommends". I don't know why there is still something called "Edit Recommends" since that is all done at the Stake level now. I suspect that will go away in a future release. In fact, you can't even select that right in the Ward MLS.

The "View Recommends" is a heirarchal right in that if you select it, the user also gets "Edit Membership" rights. I don't like that. Bishopric counselors might need the ability to view recommends, but they probably usually don't need to be editing membership records. Again, it's up to your Bishop to decide.



My advice is that you seek counsel from the Stake Clerk and your Bishop. The guidelines give us some direction but sometimes local leaders have to adjust for their specific situations. But I too like less cooks in the kitchen.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson

danpass
Member
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

Postby danpass » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 am

robm wrote:Also, the Ward MLS has two rights for Recommends -- "View Recommends" and "Edit Recommends". I don't know why there is still something called "Edit Recommends" since that is all done at the Stake level now. I suspect that will go away in a future release. In fact, you can't even select that right in the Ward MLS.


When MLS is used at the stake level, the "Edit Recommends" right is selectable and must be selected for users that have recommend activation responsibilities. In order to avoid confusion for ward MLS administrators, rather than gray out the edit right, a possible improvement could be to hide it when MLS is running in ward mode.

znauga
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 pm

MLS Rights

Postby znauga » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:55 am

RussellHltn wrote:And fewer places to point fingers. ;)

I also see it as a morale issue. The fewer people who have access to change things, the more responsible the person in charge feels. At least that's how it works for me.


In the wards where I have been the membership clerk, and now as Stake membership clerk I recommend: Only the membership clerk should make changes to the membership records.

If more than one person is modifying records the responsibilities need to be clearly defined to assure that all necessary changes are accomplished.

Auxllary leaders and Secretaries only have access at the organizational level.

znauga


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest