Remote Desk Top

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
wrigjef

Remote Desk Top

Postby wrigjef » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:43 pm

I know our computer is always left on in the clerks office. Is there a way to Remote in from my home? Perhaps allowing church authorized Remote Desk Top access using an lds account for authorization might be something the church could consider.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:38 pm

In a word, no. The trend is to move the functionality to the web.

Why are the computers being left on?
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

wrigjef

Postby wrigjef » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Our computer takes so long to boot up that leaders have requested that it be left on (not logged in). And somehow I just can't picture a unit's full MLS finance reporting functionality available online.

Aczlan

Postby Aczlan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:10 pm

wrigjef wrote:Our computer takes so long to boot up that leaders have requested that it be left on (not logged in). And somehow I just can't picture a unit's full MLS finance reporting functionality available online.

In that case, the computer needs to have the extra junk cleaned off, or replaced (depending on the age).
I prefer to use msconfig to disable uneeded junk.
If the computer has less than 1GB of RAM (in XP) or 2GB (in Windows 7), I would add more RAM.

Aaron Z

crislapi

Postby crislapi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:50 pm

wrigjef wrote:I know our computer is always left on in the clerks office. Is there a way to Remote in from my home? Perhaps allowing church authorized Remote Desk Top access using an lds account for authorization might be something the church could consider.

See this thread and then, if you want to keep reading, keep following the linked threads in each subsequent post.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 pm

wrigjef wrote:Our computer takes so long to boot up that leaders have requested that it be left on (not logged in).

Check the age of the computer. If its more then 5 years old, talk to the STS to talk to the FM group about replacement.

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

matthewehle

Postby matthewehle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:39 am

wrigjef wrote:Our computer takes so long to boot up that leaders have requested that it be left on (not logged in). And somehow I just can't picture a unit's full MLS finance reporting functionality available online.

From what I understand, MLS functionality will eventually become web-based. I was told that long before I even joined the Church ICS department, so please don't quote me on this. :)

Until then, the remote desktop option may be pretty useful, especially for units outside of Utah. I used to live in Pennsylvania, where my ward was over an hour drive from one side to the other, so I can understand not wanting to head over to the meetinghouse for everything. I think the biggest problem would be the networking setup, at least if you were using some kind of traditional RDP solution (PAT forwarding and so on). It would probably be accomplished most easily with a web based solution. Maybe some enterprise version of LogMeIn.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:00 am

matthewehle wrote:Until then, the remote desktop option may be pretty useful, especially for units outside of Utah.

The question is, is it permissible? Prior policy did mention a specific report software for "diagnostic purposes".

The current policy omits any mention of remote software, but it does say "No other software should be purchased or installed on Church computers unless it is approved by the stake president, is appropriately licensed, and does not interfere with the operation of or compromise the security of the Church software and data already on the computer." and "priesthood leaders and clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers".

matthewehle

Postby matthewehle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 am

RussellHltn wrote:The question is, is it permissible? Prior policy did mention a specific report software for "diagnostic purposes".

The current policy omits any mention of remote software, but it does say "No other software should be purchased or installed on Church computers unless it is approved by the stake president, is appropriately licensed, and does not interfere with the operation of or compromise the security of the Church software and data already on the computer." and "priesthood leaders and clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers".

I'm sure it's not permissible, especially if we are talking about a web based remote desktop. The Church is wary (rightly so) of using third party services for sensitive data transmission and storage. I wonder if there is a web based service out there that would be compatible with the Church's security standards.

RDP software is installed on most Windows machines by default, but you would have to enable it, possibly alter the firewall, and set up PAT forwarding rules so that you could reach it from outside the LAN. It would certainly be a gray area, if not explicitly forbidden. Still, there's no denying that it would be useful. :cool:
Matthew Ehle
Access Management Engineer

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:21 am

Useful, yes. But I didn't want anyone to misinterpret your prior post.

The firewall is under the firm control of the Global Service Desk. If someone out there really wants to do it, let us know how getting them to do it goes. (I doubt if they'd do it.)

The church has offered the STS access to LANDesk's remote system for FHC computers, but I've heard no such offer from the Admin side.

Return to “Clerk Computers”