Bar code scanner and MLS

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
bro.chung

Bar code scanner and MLS

Post by bro.chung »

Hi everyone,

We're having problem with our barcode scanner and MLS. We followed the installation instructions found in the MLS system in pdf format. After installing, the barcode scanner does scan the temple recommands, however, MLS do not register the bar code numbers. It looks like both are not connected. Thanks for your help! Vetea
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bro.chung wrote:We're having problem with our barcode scanner and MLS. We followed the installation instructions found in the MLS system in pdf format. After installing, the barcode scanner does scan the temple recommands, however, MLS do not register the bar code numbers. It looks like both are not connected. Thanks for your help! Vetea

If the barcode scanner can successfully scan the temple recommends, then the number should appear in MLS. As you activate a recommend, you are first prompted to enter the last 4 digits of the membership record number. Then your cursor will be in the Temple Recommend Number field. That's when you scan the bar code on the recommend. It's important that you make sure that your cursor is in the Recommend Number field before you scan the bar code. Is it possible your cursor is not on the Recommend Number field when you scan the bar code?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bro.chung

Post by bro.chung »

After entering the last 4 digits of the membership record number, the cursor will automatically switch onto the next field to enter the barcode numbers. So, it's not possible that the cursor stays at the same place after entering those 4 digits.
I already used the barcode scanner when I was a stake clerk in another stake. I am now serving as an assistant clerk in a brand new stake. The OS of the computer is Windows 7 and MLS 3.4. I said the barcode scanner is working because when we scan a temple recommand, we can hear a beeping sound but MLS do not register the barcode numbers. Well, maybe it would work if we tried to reset and install it again.
danpass

Post by danpass »

bro.chung wrote:I said the barcode scanner is working because when we scan a temple recommand, we can hear a beeping sound but MLS do not register the barcode numbers.

Test the scanner by opening Notepad or Wordpad and scan a barcode. If the barcode numbers do not get inserted into document, then you know to focus your troubleshooting on the scanner.
bro.chung

Post by bro.chung »

I did scan a barcode on Notepad and I got letters and punctuations instead of the barcode numbers. Would someone know how to fix it?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bro.chung wrote:I did scan a barcode on Notepad and I got letters and punctuations instead of the barcode numbers. Would someone know how to fix it?
Chances are that the scanner just needs to be set up properly. I'd run through the installation instructions again, which involves scanning special bar codes that set up the scanner to work correctly with the temple recommend bar codes. Then test it again in Notepad on a temple recommend to see if you get pure digits when you scan it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

So I have this new PC for the Stake Clerk, no one seems to know where the disc is for the bar code scanner.

Is there a place where I can download it?
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rolandc wrote:So I have this new PC for the Stake Clerk, no one seems to know where the disc is for the bar code scanner.

Is there a place where I can download it?

I don't think there is a disk. It emulates a keyboard, so it should plug right in. If it needs to be configured, there should be some special barcode sheets that does the setup.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rolandc wrote:So I have this new PC for the Stake Clerk, no one seems to know where the disc is for the bar code scanner.

The scanner should just plug into a USB port. After that, you set up the scanner by shooting a set of bar codes that you can print out of the MLS file structure. Drill down through the operating system and MLS folders into the TES folder and look for a file called barCodeSetup.en.pdf which is a single page file with instructions and barcodes.

Follow the instructions, which basically are to shoot each barcode from the top to the bottom of the page, and you are good to go.

The location of the TES folder used to be at
C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS\lib\TES\
but it may have moved with the adjustment of the MLS file structure a while ago.

A small glitch in my brain says the form might actually be available through the MLS Forms menu, but I am not near enough to a computer to plug in and check.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's assuming it even needs to be setup. I suspect all the programming is stored on the unit and it wouldn't need to be reprogrammed when going to a new computer.

Open up Notepad and scan a temple recommend. If you see the recommend number appear in Notepad, then you're good to go.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”