Fake Antivirus "XP Total Security 2011" Tools and info on how to remove.

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

matthewehle wrote:If you think about how much money could be saved on thousands of Windows licenses, and how much hassle could be saved on anti-virus efforts, it may make quite a bit of sense to consider it.
If you dig though the documents made public as part of the MS anti-trust legal action, you'll find that the church explored trying to do just that. But because of the way MS licenses to OEMs, they can not sell existing models without paying for a Windows license. I think they'd have to create a new motherboard to do so. At that point I'd image that the cost of the special hardware exceeded the cost savings on the software (which is probably far less then the retail price of Windows).

And, the church tends to follow Enterprise IT trends, not create new trends unless it has to. I've not seen any trend at the Enterprise level for doing that. I'd think something like a Chromebook might have a better chance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MatthewEhle

Post by MatthewEhle »

RussellHltn wrote:If you dig though the documents made public as part of the MS anti-trust legal action, you'll find that the church explored trying to do just that. But because of the way MS licenses to OEMs, they can not sell existing models without paying for a Windows license. I think they'd have to create a new motherboard to do so. At that point I'd image that the cost of the special hardware exceeded the cost savings on the software (which is probably far less then the retail price of Windows).
I'm happy to hear that it has and is at least still considered an option. There are still a few issues with Linux deployments, but things are quickly changing. That's why I would like to see that it remains an option, even if it isn't feasible now. For example, some OEM's are starting to offer Linux and "OS-less" options. Usability and software support are also improving greatly.
RussellHltn wrote:And, the church tends to follow Enterprise IT trends, not create new trends unless it has to. I've not seen any trend at the Enterprise level for doing that.
You are correct, there is little to no trend for enterprise adoption of Linux. However, I have personally never liked the "because everyone else does it" approach to decision making. Church computers do not have the same requirements as many enterprise desktops. Linux may or may not meet those requirements, but that's why I think it deserves some investigation.
RussellHltn wrote:I'd think something like a Chromebook might have a better chance.
Chromebook runs Linux ;)
Matthew Ehle
Access Management Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

matthewehle wrote:However, I have personally never liked the "because everyone else does it" approach to decision making. Church computers do not have the same requirements as many enterprise desktops. Linux may or may not meet those requirements, but that's why I think it deserves some investigation.
There are some differences, but as far as the need to support a very large number of machines world-wide, the Church is more Enterprise-like then it is not. As far as arguing that Linux saves money, I'll quote kxcd and say "Eventually, arguing that these things work means arguing that modern capitalism isn't THAT ruthlessly profit-focused." ;)
matthewehle wrote: Chromebook runs Linux ;)
Yes, it does. But it's part of a bigger solution supported by a large vendor, not just a piece in the puzzle.

But, I doubt if the church would be willing to support two versions of MLS (or at least having to test it in two environments), so I don't think any change is going to happen until everything becomes web-based.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MatthewEhle

Post by MatthewEhle »

RussellHltn wrote:I'll quote kxcd and say "Eventually, arguing that these things work means arguing that modern capitalism isn't THAT ruthlessly profit-focused." ;)

I love xkcd, but you'll have to tell me which comic that came from. I don't remember that quote :)

I have to apologize. I just realized that I had gotten the thread way off topic, although my comments were originally related. I am curious about what people think, so I think I'll start up a new post later today.

Getting back on topic, I agree with stephen500 about Sophos. I haven't had any virus problems using it yet, but I have tried configuring it. It's a huge pain compared to other AV solutions, even on the few things you can actually control. Personally, I think Symantec is the best enterprise AV solution. It's easy to configure and it catches things very quickly.
Matthew Ehle
Access Management Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

matthewehle wrote:I love xkcd, but you'll have to tell me which comic that came from. I don't remember that quote :)
Use the site to search for "capitalism". The title is "The Economic Argument" (I'm not linking as the site it may not always be church-friendly)
matthewehle wrote:Getting back on topic, I agree with stephen500 about Sophos. I haven't had any virus problems using it yet, but I have tried configuring it. It's a huge pain compared to other AV solutions, even on the few things you can actually control. Personally, I think Symantec is the best enterprise AV solution. It's easy to configure and it catches things very quickly.

I've used it a lot at work. It works fine for me. It's got a few quirks (avoid the firewall), but configuring it is easy.

Return to “Clerk Computers”