New Win7 Computer Installation

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rickdez

New Win7 Computer Installation

Post by rickdez »

Are there any specific instructions for configuring the new Win 7 Dell machines we get to replace the older XP machines? Specifically, is there a prefered naming convention to be used for computer names, and any other specifics to the desktop setup that the church would like us to use or do we just go from our own individual experience to configure new pc's out of the box.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There are instructions for the Dell 740 computers found on the mls.lds.org site. While the title of the instructions say they are for the Dell 740 computers there is nothing unique to the 740 in those instructions. You will find the computer name, organization, Windows account name, Windows user account type and password in step 2 and step 3. All those setup specifics (computer name, organization, etc.) apply to all unit adminisrative computers until further instructions are provided.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The initial setup on a Windows7 machine is somewhat different than the instructions for XP. You definitely can't just go down the list. I remember never seeing the option to create the admin user, for example. Just the local user. I've only done one and did my best to follow the instructions given. It seems to have worked out ok.

All the questions you ask are answered in the setup instructions. If you don't have access, the STS or Stake Clerk should. If downloaded from the MLS download site, it includes passwords, etc. It is also available in the wiki without those passwords.
rickdez

Post by rickdez »

Thank you for the assistance. I will download the Dell 740 instructions and give it a go. I understand MLS support has to flip the switch between the old and new pc's once the new one is loaded and ready to go so this final step must take place during workday hours rather than on the weekend?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Yes, but you have another hour today, right? The security token can be reset before the new computer is set up. It's just reset so that the next send/receive will lock that computer in as the only authorized computer for the unit. You can call and have them reset it today and then set the computer up and do the first send/receive on the new computer over the weekend.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:The security token can be reset before the new computer is set up. It's just reset so that the next send/receive will lock that computer in as the only authorized computer for the unit. You can call and have them reset it today and then set the computer up and do the first send/receive on the new computer over the weekend.

Failing that, you can still use the new computer, you just can't do a send/receive until the phone call is placed. So you could change it out this weekend and call on Monday. It's not the most desirable way to do it, but it's not the end of the world.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I'm in the process of replacing our older Dell PCs with the newer ones also and I've found a few alterations are needed to the instructions JD referenced. Most are fairly obvious. I'm trying to keep good notes, but it's more important right now to get my messes in the various clerk's offices cleaned up by Sunday. :) Eventually, I'll try to work my notes into the WIKI.

A couple things off the top of my head...
  1. Since you will be naming the new PC the same name as the old one, it's not a good idea to have them both on the LAN at the same time. I used a thumb drive to transfer the needed data from one to the other.
  2. Most of the time I spent setting them up was installing all the needed patches and updates from Microsoft, including SP1. It takes a lot of babysitting with all the downloading, installing, periodic "click to accept" boxes, and reboots needed. [rant]It doesn't help either to have things like the IE9 installer open a dialog box BEHIND the Windows Update screen so you can't see it's sitting there forever waiting for a response from you. Sheesh! [/rant]
  3. Install all the church-issued software, including MLS, on the new PC, but don't run MLS yet. Make SURE the old PC is running the same version of MLS you just installed, then grab the entire contents of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church" folder from the old PC onto your thumb drive and copy it to the "C:\ProgramData\LDS Church" folder on the new PC. (The "ProgramData" folder is normally hidden, so just type "C:\ProgramData" into the Explorer navigation bar and you'll see it show up.)
  4. Now fire up MLS on the new PC, log in, and make sure you can perform a send/receive. So far I've done 4 PC's this way and never had a problem with needing a security reset. (Oh, it's a good idea before you try the send/receive to have either a real printer connected or at least CutePDF installed in case MLS needs to print something following the send/receive. You only get one chance, then it's gone.)
  5. The rest is just making sure odd documents get moved over from places like the old desktop, favorites folder, the old D:\ drive, etc. before you perform any kind of disk wipe. (It's always a good idea to pillage before you burn! ;))
I ran into a hitch with one PC that was still using an HP LaserJet 1100. The 1100 only has a parallel interface and the new PC's don't have one.* I thought about installing a PCI parallel port card, but the 580 needs a "shortie" bracket (like many rack-mount servers) and it's almost impossible to find cards like that locally. Mail order would be the only way. I also thought about a USB to Parallel cable, but the reviews on them were quite mixed in their success rate, and again, mail order only. I discussed this with the FM people and they decided to issue this particular unit a new printer. (YMMV)

Another slight problem was the modem. Instead of the usual PCI modem we all know and love, these PC's were issued with a short USB modem "dongle". The dongle worked fine, except for the fact it only has ONE RJ-11 jack, so it's not possible to connect a desk phone and the modem at the same time. A trip to Walmart solved the problem with a phone line splitter for the jack in the wall, or even the end of the dongle, depending on your desk layout.

* This lack of parallel port on the 580's threw me for a while, as the BIOS reports there IS one present, as does Windows 7. I popped the lid on the case hoping to find a parallel port header I could attach a ribbon cable to, but none was found. After an extensive search, I finally found a spot near the rear I/O shield where a DB25 connector could have been solder in, but was left off. Amazing. I guess the $0.25 savings was worth it to someone.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pete.arnett

MLS Training Units

Post by pete.arnett »

After MLS installation, you could setup Training units (Ward 108 and Stake 2224445) for testing and training
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Mikerowaved wrote:Make SURE the old PC is running the same version of MLS you just installed, then grab the entire contents of the C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\ folder from the old PC onto your thumb drive and copy it to the same location on the new PC.
Just a clarification - if you are upgrading from a windows XP machine (which is likely), the location of this file on your old computer is "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church". If your new computer is also XP (my FM is downgrading all our replacement computers), you will need to put it in the same location on the new computer. Only if you have Windows7 on the new computer do you need to put it into ProgramData.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

crislapi wrote:Just a clarification - if you are upgrading from a windows XP machine (which is likely), the location of this file on your old computer is "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church". If your new computer is also XP (my FM is downgrading all our replacement computers), you will need to put it in the same location on the new computer. Only if you have Windows7 on the new computer do you need to put it into ProgramData.
Yes indeed. Thanks for the correction. I went back and made the change on step 3.

Return to “Clerk Computers”