Windows 7 Availability for MLS Computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rgme

Windows 7 Availability for MLS Computers

Post by rgme »

New STS here, and I just got a batch of Dell 580's to replace our current MLS computers. They have the Windows 7 license sticker, but come with XP installed. I haven't seen any Windows 7 media in the box (like reported elsewhere in the forum). Is there a disc image or media that can be obtained from Local Unit Support or FM that will provide Windows 7? I'd like to make the most of the effort I'll be putting in to getting these computers ready for the clerks in the (some distant) buildings. I'd rather start off completely with Windows 7. I've called Local Unit Support, who said to have my Facilities Manager call his support office, who reported back that MLS wasn't Windows 7 capable yet. I know that MLS is ready for Windows 7, so these replies confuse me.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

Also, if someone can't send out the Windows 7 media, I think I can use any Windows 7 Pro installation disc and then simply type in the license listed on the actual computer. Does anybody have experience with that?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

rgme wrote:New STS here, and I just got a batch of Dell 580's to replace our current MLS computers. They have the Windows 7 license sticker, but come with XP installed. I haven't seen any Windows 7 media in the box (like reported elsewhere in the forum). Is there a disc image or media that can be obtained from Local Unit Support or FM that will provide Windows 7? I'd like to make the most of the effort I'll be putting in to getting these computers ready for the clerks in the (some distant) buildings. I'd rather start off completely with Windows 7. I've called Local Unit Support, who said to have my Facilities Manager call his support office, who reported back that MLS wasn't Windows 7 capable yet. I know that MLS is ready for Windows 7, so these replies confuse me.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

Also, if someone can't send out the Windows 7 media, I think I can use any Windows 7 Pro installation disc and then simply type in the license listed on the actual computer. Does anybody have experience with that?
I recently installed a new computer at one of my buildings. It had the same thing, so I left it as Windows XP. I haven't gone the path of trying to upgrade it to Windows 7.

Now you could use any Windows 7 Pro installation disc, but the issue becomes licensing. I didn't look closely at the one at my building, because I was in a hurry to get back to my stake center to do other work. If the computer has a license then I don't see any issue, but if it doesn't then you will need to purchase a license for each computer you install Windows 7 on.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

harddrive wrote:INow you could use any Windows 7 Pro installation disc, but the issue becomes licensing. I didn't look closely at the one at my building, because I was in a hurry to get back to my stake center to do other work. If the computer has a license then I don't see any issue, but if it doesn't then you will need to purchase a license for each computer you install Windows 7 on.
The Windows 7 sticker on the computer case is license for that machine under bulk licensing . When the Church purchased the computers Windows 7 was included in the configuration. However Windows XP was installed under another bulk license. A machine with Windows XP installed at delivery to a unit but with a Windows 7 sticker is licensed to run either.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

As of about a month ago, any new machines that are being shipped from Dell should have Windows 7 on them and not XP. If you know of a specific order number of any machines that have been shipped in the past month without 7, I would like to know so I can follow up with Dell. If you have that information, you can PM me.

Thanks.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

jdlessley wrote:The Windows 7 sticker on the computer case is license for that machine under bulk licensing . When the Church purchased the computers Windows 7 was included in the configuration. However Windows XP was installed under another bulk license. A machine with Windows XP installed at delivery to a unit but with a Windows 7 sticker is licensed to run either.
I think that you mean OEM licensing. Under OEM licensing, you can install the Dell OEM version of Win 7 on the computers, but you will need a Dell Win 7 CD, or a kind person at the Windows activation hotline to activate a non-oem version of 7 on a OEM key.

Aaron Z
pbhanney

Post by pbhanney »

OK, so our STS indicated to me at the end of March that "The Church wants us running XP for the time being." Has this stance now changed? We got our new computer at the end of January 2011 and it also has a license sticker for Windows 7. We've had some problems with XP on the machine that have been somewhat fixed, but I would prefer to have Windows 7 to see if it can truly fix all of our problems.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hanney1 wrote:OK, so our STS indicated to me at the end of March that "The Church wants us running XP for the time being." Has this stance now changed?

Clearly, according to this post, the Church is now shipping computers with Windows 7, and has been since early March or so. So the statement by your STS is out of date regarding new computer shipments.
hanney1 wrote:We got our new computer at the end of January 2011 and it also has a license sticker for Windows 7. We've had some problems with XP on the machine that have been somewhat fixed, but I would prefer to have Windows 7 to see if it can truly fix all of our problems.

Although the Church may be shipping new computers with Windows 7, we have received no instructions about reconfiguring computers shipped with XP before then to have 7. So the statement by your STS is probably accurate for computers that were already shipped with XP.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

Same situation here. I just received a batch of new Dell 580's that all have XP preloaded. If the past is any indication of how long these machines will be used, installing them with XP is a bad idea. Microsoft has been trying to kill it off for several years already. Win7 is a much better choice at this point.

Does anyone know how I get an OEM Win7 disk? I've got access to the general release bits (via MS TechNet), but I'd rather find a distribution that will like the license key on the sticker attached to the machine.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

ThomsonMA wrote:Does anyone know how I get an OEM Win7 disk? I've got access to the general release bits (via MS TechNet), but I'd rather find a distribution that will like the license key on the sticker attached to the machine.

Call dell, tell them that you need to reinstall Win7 and they will probbaly send you a DVD (for a price). Alternatively, look on Ebay where you can get a disk for $26.

Aaron Z
rgme

Post by rgme »

I supplied the order number per Post #4, but I haven't heard back yet. So, yesterday I went ahead and used a retail Windows 7 installation disc with the product key on the actual computer. It's working fine now (upgrading to SP1 as I write). I know a neighboring stake's STS has done the same. You'd need to find a Windows 7 Pro disc (or whatever the computers are licensed for). Alternatively, there are (non-pirating) methods to make a universal Win 7 disc if you don't have access to the exact version.

One hint: make a usb drive installation disc, which works faster than using a DVD. A very simple tool from Microsoft can be found at: http://wudt.codeplex.com/. If you want to go all out, you could even go the cloning/imaging route.

Return to “Clerk Computers”