IE8 download blocked by church firewall

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sgoodmansen

IE8 download blocked by church firewall

Post by sgoodmansen »

I had to format and reinstall winxp. One little problem is that even the service pack 3 disk loads IE6. LDS.org doesn't work with IE6, so I tried to download IE8 directly from microsoft and the church firewall blocks it.

The IE8 download button redirects to clk.atdmt.com which is the address getting blocked.

Guess I'll have to download it at home and bring it in, since I have no idea how long it will take via the auto-updates. It sure would be more convenient if that block was lifted. Especially since the LDS.org browser redirect has a link to the Microsoft IE page.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The www.atdmt.com domain belongs to Atlas Solutions, one of Microsoft's cover corporations who manages their advertising. That site is not the download site for IE8. Try downloading from the Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XPdownload site. I have had no problems even behind the LDS Extended Access filtering level.

The download for IE8 using the Windows Update does not take any longer than downloading from Microsoft's download site. The only difference would be all the additional update downloads available when using the update site. Using the custom update for Windows Update you can select only the IE8 update to download and install and leave all the other updates to do at a later time.

Your STS should be keeping the computers updated. Security updates to the OS can only be done through Windows Update. When performing maintenance the STS can temporarily bybass the firewall to get updates if necessary. For safer web browsing even IE8 requires security patch updates that can only be obtained by using Windows Update.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sgoodmansen

Post by sgoodmansen »

Thanks, that's good to know what atdmt.com is. I am the STS, and I thought about bypassing the firewall temporarily, but that would have messed up some other downloads I had happening at the time.
scorch29

Can't download IE 8 when on LDS restricted access

Post by scorch29 »

I followed the link in one of these posts hoping I could then download IE 8 but the website provided was also blocked. The link provided is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... cdecd8852b.

I am a new STS and am not familar with all of the church policies regarding the Internet. I can gather that the church does not want you routing internet traffic around the firewall. What I'm curious to know is if church policy does allow you to bypass the firewall long enough to update Internet Explorer and do any Microsoft updates and then restore the firewall restrictions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

scorch29 wrote:I am a new STS and am not familar with all of the church policies regarding the Internet. I can gather that the church does not want you routing internet traffic around the firewall. What I'm curious to know is if church policy does allow you to bypass the firewall long enough to update Internet Explorer and do any Microsoft updates and then restore the firewall restrictions.
As the STS you have the responsibility to ensure the administrative computers are properly maintained. As a former STS I did just as you described to get those updates necessary to bring the computers to a configuration with all the security updates Microsoft recommended. Without those updates I felt it put those computers connected to the internet at risk. Since getting the operating system updates cannot be done without going to the Windows Update site I chose to temporarily bypass the firewall. I did make sure that only those computers I was performing maintenance on had internet access.

I downloaded the IE8 installer for Windows XP HERE at home onto a USB memory stick and then updated the computers from that. It is a 16.1MB file. While doing this way saves on-line update time you are still going to have to bypass the firewall for the security updates.

Edit: I guess I should have read my earlier post since I already said the same thing there.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Clerk Computers”