Backup policy

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

CrashPlan is something I've considered since I use it at home to backup one computer to another. I would suspect that since all the computers in the stake are going to be powered up on most Sundays that the backup would complete on that one day. It's probably a small amount of data that each computer would be sending after an initial backup.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mprusse wrote:I would suspect that since all the computers in the stake are going to be powered up on most Sundays that the backup would complete on that one day.
At some point in the day they most likely will be on. But then you have to correlate times between units to make sure they are on a the same time (same 3-block meeting time).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

If you're backing up to the stake computer, just make sure that one computer is on all day. I suspect it probably is already. Or simply just plan on leaving that one on 24/7. Windows will log people out after a period of time. Then, each ward's computer when it is on during their block, will send its backup.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Just as an FYI, I wanted to make sure that using CrashPlan for a non-profit (read, not personal) was ok according to CrashPlan's terms. I contacted their customer support and got the following:
Aaron Barker, Feb-21 12:39 pm (CST):
I've searched your site and can't find any answer to my question.

I have some computers used for a few churches where we want to back some
data up to eachother (not to the cloud). I don't see non-profit specifically
listed anywhere, and only see business listed as they have to use
CrashPlan+/Enterprise.

So where do non-profits fit? Are they able to use the personal version to
backup to eachother, or do they fit in the business category and so have to
go with the cloud version?

Thanks,

Aaron
===========================

Michael W., Feb-21 01:05 pm (CST):
Good day Aaron,

The CrashPlan software itself is free to use, the only way that you need to pay for it is if you want to back up to the CrashPlan Central servers. So as a non-profit, if you want to just back up your data to each others computers, then just download the software and start using it!

No need to worry about using the Pro software, you can use the regular for your non-profit.

Have a great day!
~Michael
So technicalities of when computers are on aside, it looks like it is ok from a licensing standpoint.
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.

Return to “Clerk Computers”