Ward MLS Desktop Replacement Models?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Paulbb1
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:28 am
Location: Saline, MI

Ward MLS Desktop Replacement Models?

Postby Paulbb1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 pm

What desktop model is being shipped for Wards? New computers are to be ordered and wondering which monitors are supported. DVI, VGA or HDMI?
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Paulbb1 wrote:What desktop model is being shipped for Wards? New computers are to be ordered and wondering which monitors are supported. DVI, VGA or HDMI?


In my experience, the answer changes with time. We got new computers a bit over a year ago, and they were Dell 580s with VGA connections. But you don't really need to worry about what models they will be, since you have no control. The FM Group will place the order, and the new computers will show up, with monitors with appropriate connections that match the computers.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 pm

aebrown wrote:with monitors


In the case of a replacement, YYMV. Mine sure did. All we got was the CPU.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:54 am

RussellHltn wrote:In the case of a replacement, YYMV. Mine sure did. All we got was the CPU.


Point taken. The bottom line is that the forum can't answer the specific question -- the FM group places the order, so each stake needs to ask the FM group what is being ordered. If the FM group needs to understand the situation with current monitors and possible need for replacement depending on the systems being ordered, that's something the stake technology specialist coordinates with the FM group, perhaps through the PFR.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am

Paulbb1 wrote:What desktop model is being shipped for Wards? New computers are to be ordered and wondering which monitors are supported. DVI, VGA or HDMI?

I just replaced a computer in October. The new model was a Dell Optiplex 580. However, be aware the church purchases so many of these, they work out their own contract with Dell. It does not ship with the same specs as what you would see if you went to Dell's site and looked it up. Since May I've had to replace 4 computers. They have all shipped with new flat screen monitors. The monitors are VGA only. I can't remember if the CPU had DVI output or not. It definitely did not have HDMI.

Here are the specs:
Dell Optiplex 580 specs.pdf
(23.19 KiB) Downloaded 636 times

User avatar
gregwanderson
Senior Member
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:34 pm
Location: Huntsville, UT, USA

Postby gregwanderson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Some of us might enjoy using high-end monitors on our home computers or our work computers (expecially if our professions involve media and graphics work). While it might be fun to have a high-end monitor on one of these clerk computers, I assume that we'll only be getting what is "adequate" for the tasks at hand. For example, our new clerk computer (about 18 months ago) has a CD/DVD-ROM drive which cannot write to CD-R or DVD-R. I thought, "How did they manage that? These days you'd have to go out of your way to get a disc drive which can only read." But they did, somehow, because that's all we need. Why would they bother to use high-end graphics cards that could support DVI or HDMI if you'll never need to have a high-end monitor in the clerk's office?

Aczlan
Member
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY, USA

Postby Aczlan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 pm

mrrad wrote:Some of us might enjoy using high-end monitors on our home computers or our work computers (expecially if our professions involve media and graphics work). While it might be fun to have a high-end monitor on one of these clerk computers, I assume that we'll only be getting what is "adequate" for the tasks at hand. For example, our new clerk computer (about 18 months ago) has a CD/DVD-ROM drive which cannot write to CD-R or DVD-R. I thought, "How did they manage that? These days you'd have to go out of your way to get a disc drive which can only read." But they did, somehow, because that's all we need. Why would they bother to use high-end graphics cards that could support DVI or HDMI if you'll never need to have a high-end monitor in the clerk's office?

It is amazing what Dell (or whoever the current vendor is) can make available to a large client.

Aaron Z

Paulbb1
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:28 am
Location: Saline, MI

Postby Paulbb1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 pm

I just wanted an idea of what was being sent out. I was wondering if we were going to have to change the monitors. As it happens we are converting all from CRT to LCD's.

I understand it could change tomorrow. If I wasn't curious I wouldn't be doing this calling. Change is what is continuous in computers.

Which O/S is being shipped? I am seeing both XP and Win 7 in LDSClerks group. Also seeing issues with MLS 3.3 and Win 7. Are they working OK now?
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Paulbb1 wrote:I just wanted an idea of what was being sent out. I was wondering if we were going to have to change the monitors. As it happens we are converting all from CRT to LCD's.

I understand it could change tomorrow. If I wasn't curious I wouldn't be doing this calling. Change is what is continuous in computers.

Which O/S is being shipped? I am seeing both XP and Win 7 in LDSClerks group. Also seeing issues with MLS 3.3 and Win 7. Are they working OK now?

If you do get a new computer, you should get a new LCD monitor with it. The "approved" model is only 17" but it does mean that if you are getting replacements anytime soon you might want to hold off on replacing your monitors yourself.

If you get a new computer, it should ship with Windows 7 now.

The only problem I've heard of with Windows 7 and MLS 3.3 is that if you let the computer enter standby mode, when you returned MLS would complain that the system clock had been changed and that you had to log out of MLS. The fix was to change the settings of the computer so it didn't enter standby mode. Other than that, it's worked perfectly for us.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

crislapi wrote:If you do get a new computer, you should get a new LCD monitor with it.


YMMV. Yes, I believe the monitor is included in the "5 year" plan, but as we all know, that "5 years" has been extended a bit. So to some extent your at the mercy of the FM group's budget.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Clerk Computers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest