Clean install on Dimension 3000 w/o DVD drive

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scottb wrote:Thanks again to both of you. Now if I can just get the virus and LANDesk to work/update on one of the MLS machines.
OK, just keep in mind that admin machines are different then FHC machines. Both use Sohpos and LANDesk, but you get them from different sources. For Admin computers, it comes from mls.lds.org. For FHC computers, it comes from remote.familysearch.org.

Oh, and if you've got a working copy of XP on those FHC machines, don't worry about it. I think as a whole you'll find you've spent a lot of time without much benefit by loading the image.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scottb

Post by scottb »

just keep in mind that admin machines are different then FHC machines. ...

I am pretty sure that is why I have the problem. They are at the same location and share the Internet connection. The firewall seems to have issues occasionally that makes it so one computer (an ordering computer) can't get routed like it needs. I have never had to reset a Cisco ASA as many times as I have here. For the MLS computers it seems one somehow got a local IP for the update server for Sophos. The others didn't and update fine. I am trying to make time to be at the church so I can call during "office hours" to get help fixing this.

I think as a whole you'll find you've spent a lot of time without much benefit by loading the image.

Good point. I will probably try this on just one or two to see if the improvement is noticeable and worth the time. At the time when these machines were ordered it seems the person who could decide didn't understand that the minimum RAM recommendations by Microsoft were really just a bare minimum and should not be used. They may really just need memory.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scottb wrote:I am pretty sure that is why I have the problem. They are at the same location and share the Internet connection. The firewall seems to have issues occasionally that makes it so one computer (an ordering computer) can't get routed like it needs. I have never had to reset a Cisco ASA as many times as I have here. For the MLS computers it seems one somehow got a local IP for the update server for Sophos. The others didn't and update fine. I am trying to make time to be at the church so I can call during "office hours" to get help fixing this.

Firewall issues are handled by the Global Service Desk, and they are open 24x7 -- so you don't have to worry about "office hours." I'm not sure if the GSD also handles Sophos issues, but it sounds like your issue might be more of a firewall issue.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scottb wrote:The firewall seems to have issues occasionally that makes it so one computer (an ordering computer) can't get routed like it needs.
That's a GSD issue. You need to let them know you have a FHC at that site.

scottb wrote:For the MLS computers it seems one somehow got a local IP for the update server for Sophos.
Makes me wonder if it didn't have the wrong version of Sophos installed. When you say "local" you mean on the same subnet or just a 10.x.x.x IP (which at first glance might appear "local")? Keep in mind you're on a VLAN, so church servers can show up with 10.x.x.x IPs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mrb53

Hyperlink to creating bootable usb device

Post by Mrb53 »

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 60062.html

you can try accessing this site to see clear instructions on creating a usb booable device for xp
Mrb53

Hyperlink to creating bootable usb device

Post by Mrb53 »

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 60062.html

link to creating a bootable usb device (with clear instructions and images). Hope this helps
scottb

Post by scottb »

link to creating a bootable usb device (with clear instructions and images). Hope this helps

Thanks for the post and recommendation. Have you tried it for what I am trying to do? I read through the steps but they seem to be used for putting XP on the flash drive. Basically as if you would have the flash drive be your hard drive with the OS. Also, from when I have used BartPE for other steps to try to do this, it seems to ignore the other files in the image (the DVD) and just get the XP operating system.

Let me know if I have overlooked something or if there are some changes you did to get it to work for you like I need. Thanks!

Return to “Clerk Computers”